Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Is this big enough for a permanent cage?

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
I have 3 piggies, 2 girls and 1 boy. At the end of the month the 3 of them will be able to be in the same cage (the male got neutered last week). They are currently in pet store cages, and I was wondering if a 2ft by roughly 5.5ft home made cage (made from pet play pens, and a plastic tarp) would be big enough for the 3 of them or do I have to expand it?

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
This is my girls in the cage. One of them is already in the igloo

My boy is almost double their size.

LilPiggies3

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
If you want them to enjoy their life more, expand and buy igloos and some supplies and toys for them.
You don't have to, someone told me the bigger it is the better they will feel.

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
Yea I know.. I plan on dedicating an entire room to them when I move out into my own place.. at the moment me and my bf are just renting a room, and I figured this would definitely be better than the pet store cage they were in, which about 4-5 of them could fit in this cage I build

wombats

Cavy Slave
If I did my math correctly, a 2'x5.5' cage would have about 11 sq ft of floor space. Looking at the guineapigcages website, if I convert the sq meters to sq feet, it says the minimum for three pigs is about 10.7 sq ft, but the prefered is almost 13 sq ft (rounded up from 12.9).

As such, if your piggies get along well (you know them better than anyone else) it could work. If you can, try and expand the cage as much as possible, but your currently planned cage does fit the minimum, at least. If they end up fighting a lot more than expected or they seem irritable to each other (and you know it's not the girls in heat) space may be an issue, but hopefully it won't be.

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
My girls are sisters, and they were beginning to rumble at each other and show dominance behaviours when they were in their pet store cage... they've been in this new one for a couple hours now and I havent heard anything except the noise they make while exploring, and them playing with the toilet roll stuffed with hay that I put in there.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
Yea I know.. I plan on dedicating an entire room to them when I move out into my own place.. at the moment me and my bf are just renting a room, and I figured this would definitely be better than the pet store cage they were in, which about 4-5 of them could fit in this cage I build

I also want to dedicate a whole room for guinea pigs too (people in my class think I'm odd (none of them have piggies)). Also for now my parents don't have enough room for the family, let alone a whole room for the piggies. When we expand the house I will definitely try get them to build an extra room (but I doubt that'll happen). But when I'm older and I move out, I will have a room just for piggies.

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
Yea my boyfriend thought I was a weirdo for wanting Guinea Pigs... he originally wasnt to fond of the idea, he really didnt start agreeing to it until I began to cry about it... but now he loves all 3 of them :)

We plan on moving out soon, but I didnt want to wait any longer to get them a bigger cage... especially since they are still growing (my girls were born on May 5th this year, and my boy is about 2-3months older).

But I know how you feel, we are currently living with my boyfriends mum and his 3 younger siblings, and renting a room.. so there isnt a whole lot of space to work with... his mum even said that if they begun to stink, they were to go outside... I would so throw a hissy fit at her big time if she tried to make me put them outside... I don't care what she says, I pay for my room, if it smells like hay and whatever, then too fricken bad.

I'm actually quite excited at the idea of having an entire room for them, and having fleece liners, cozzies, tunnels, forests and a whole heap of stuff for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.