PDA

View Full Version : Neutering/Spaying Consensus: neutering young males reduces/eliminates the incidence of impaction?

frNzR4evr
07-28-15, 08:20 pm
Consensus: neutering young males reduces/eliminates the incidence of impaction?

I have decided not to subject my young female Cocoa to an elective (cancer preventative) spay operation, thanks to all who commented

Now, does anyone suggest that if/when I have my young males, Rusty & Jerome, neutered, it will reduce or eliminate the incidence of impaction? Both of them NEED the mineral oil & Q-Tips done every week, even tho' I switched to fleece... I haven't solved their hay-strewing yet, that will definitely improve things, but they get fur in there too.

foggycreekcavy
07-29-15, 06:46 pm
It would be highly unusual for young active male guinea pigs to need their anal sac cleaned out every week. Frequent cleaning will stretch it out so that it will work less effectively, and then you will have real impaction problems.

Neutering guinea pigs has it's cons. A large amount of neutered males have post neuter abscessing. The only reason to neuter a male is if you are keeping him with a female.

frNzR4evr
07-29-15, 07:10 pm
It sounds like I am cleaning their anal sacs unnecessarily often, but each week they do have quite a bit of debris, and I am very careful and gentle, after reading this I will be even more so, coaxing from the outside rim, perhaps

I have been told that the neutering can be done with two incisions, down low, one to remove each testicle, which are difficult to keep clean and often get infected, OR:

The surgery can be done with only ONE incision, farther up the abdomen, through which both are removed, and because of the location, there is a much lower incidence of infection

I want to unite my 2 males, Rusty & Jerome, with my female, Cocoa... Now I am weighing the benefit of socializing against the potential risks/rewards of surgery

Lagertha
07-30-15, 03:04 am
It sounds like I am cleaning their anal sacs unnecessarily often, but each week they do have quite a bit of debris, and I am very careful and gentle, after reading this I will be even more so, coaxing from the outside rim, perhaps

I have been told that the neutering can be done with two incisions, down low, one to remove each testicle, which are difficult to keep clean and often get infected, OR:

The surgery can be done with only ONE incision, farther up the abdomen, through which both are removed, and because of the location, there is a much lower incidence of infection

I want to unite my 2 males, Rusty & Jerome, with my female, Cocoa... Now I am weighing the benefit of socializing against the potential risks/rewards of surgery

Several issues here.
1. It doesn't matter how the surgery is performed, either incision is still the same amount of risk. The biggest risk factors are the anesthetic during the operation and the potential for infection post operation.
2. YOU CANNOT HOUSE 2 BOARS WITH A SOW. Neutered or not, they will fight over her. You can either have 2 sows and 1 boar, 1 sow and 1 boar, or 2 boars. You can NEVER have 2 boars with 1 sow. It will not work.