Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage What size should I get?

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
I have 2 girls (just over 2 months old) and I adopted a boar from some friends the other week as they could no longer care for him after his cage mate died and I am the only one of their friends who know anything about piggy care, and as I didnt want him to go to someone who wouldnt care for him right, I took him in. He is booked in to be neutered this Friday, and during his recovery time I plan on saving up and getting a bigger cage so he can be happy with my girls.

I was wondering how big of a cage would I need? Also, even though I would love to have a C&C cage, there isnt anywhere near me in Australia, that I can get the supplies (unless I pay an arm and a leg and have it shipped from the US).

Also any DIY alternative ideas would be great too. Though at the moment I have minimal space as I am only renting a room with my boyfriend, but I could probably find a way to make it work somehow.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
Minimum size for 3 pigs is 2x4, but 2x5 would be preferred.

Please don't put your male in with the females during his recovery. It takes 4 weeks after neutering to ensure the male is infertile.

Good luck with him.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I live in Australia so I know how difficult it is getting the grids. My cage sides are instead made from clever closet shelving from bunnings (here is a link to them on the bunnings website https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=clever closet shelving 335mm ).

Three guinea pigs ideally need the equivalent to a 2x5 c&c, which is 1.2 square meters, but bigger is better.

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
as has said, DO NOT PUT HIM IN WITH YOUR GIRLS until at least 4 weeks post-op or they WILL get pregnant which is a death sentence at 2 months old. I just introduced my neutered boar to my girls and they are all living happily in a 2x4 with a 1x2, 1x2.5 L-shaped upper level. A 2x5 is definitely the preferred size and I may be upgrading to a 2x5 in a few weeks if I need to, but my pigs are pretty content with the 2x4 since they have the top level to have space away from each other :) they love running laps up and down the ramp too xD

All pigs are different, but most 2 female 1 male trios do pretty well :)

have you checked the c&c cage store on this site? do they ship to Aussie for a decent price?

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
Yea I dont plan on putting him with my girls until 5 weeks post op, and I'm using those 5 weeks to save for a cage upgrade so the 3 of them will have plenty of space, especially since I start working again soon and won't be able to give them floor time for the entire day like I am now (they have 2 pet pens next to each other during floor time so they can see each other but he cant touch them)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.