Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello Everyone!

BriteViolets

Cavy Slave
My name is Brittany, I'm 35, and a stay at home mom of 2 (human) boys. I've always been an animal lover, and it's always been important to my husband and I to raise our kids as such. We have 2 dogs, a cat, a bunch of fish and now we have 2 boy piggies, Pepper and Dozer, and they're around 2 years old. I thought it was about time I introduced my self. I've been going through this forum for a few months now on my quest to finding as much, and the best information I possibly can. I've grown to love this place, and look forward to getting to know everyone.

So here's my piggy story, and I absolutely love it, well I love most of it that is. In April we stopped at Petco and my 12 year old sees these 2 piggies that were up for adoption. This is the part I hate, they had them in a 10 gallon tank, and there was just enough room for them and their pigloo. Now my son is autistic, and when it comes to animals he likes them but he can't connect with them. To my surprise he asked if he could spend the birthday money he'd been saving for months to get them, I said appsolutely! So in talking with the sales lady, I find out that this would be their third home. She said if we ever decide we don't want them to make sure we bring them back to the store, I told her that won't ever happen. Then she brings out their "cage", it was the typical pet store cage, but it was way bigger than the tiny tank they had them in. Why didn't they have them in that at least? As we're leaving she said that they have been having some dominant issues so we might have to separate them. Gee, ya don't say.

So I start doing research, I want the very best we can afford for all our beasties. So here's the bizzare irony in all this, I have a rare type of kidney disease and my body can't process calcium like it should so I make hundreds if stones. It's very similar to the way they can't process calcium, and all the foods I avoid should at the very least be limited with them. Wow! Unfortunately, but not surprisingly my son lost interest in them after a few days, so now they're mine, and I can't get enough of my little guys. They are however extremely skittish, they've really had a rough go of it. Dozer loves to have his head scratched, but Pepper doesn't like being touched at all. However they're spoiled rotten, they now have a huge cage, it's a 2 x 6 with a 1 x 2 off to the side. They love it and I had a blast planning it and making all the fleece stuff. However they still have quite a few dominate issues, but hopefully now that they have the space they'll figure it out. I'm still surprised how much I love having them around, and how much personality is packed in such tiny packages. I do feel an odd connection to these little guys, and still can't believe we have such a similar condition.

Too top it all off, we are adopting 2 new piggies this weekend. I'm so excited, and I just can't wait to get my hands on my new piggy babies. They're brother skinny pigs, which is especially exciting!

Thanks for reading! [emoji2]
uploadfromtaptalk1437501137541.jpg This is Dozeruploadfromtaptalk1437501208557.jpg And here's Pepper. uploadfromtaptalk1437501284994.jpg And here's their piggy palace.

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Welcome @BriteViolets ! What a great story, glad they are getting a permanent home with you. I'm also a stay at home mom and we have two pigs, Lucy is mine and Snickers is "my son's" (aka also mine). I also spent a lot of time stalking these forums before getting my pigs and joining. Good luck with your dominance issues. The big cage should really help a lot. It helped our girls. I love your purple and teal fleece!

wombats

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh what wonderful piggies! I'm so glad you did your research and gave them such a fantastic life...they must love being able to stretch their legs and run around now. My only question is, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you going to put the two new boys in with your current two, or put them in a seperate cage? It seems like you've done tons of reasearch but I just wanted to make sure. Boars do best in pairs, and sometimes introducing another one to an existing pair can cause problems. Plus, your cage is a fantastic size for two guys (2x5 or larger is best, and your's is technically 2x7 in total!) but four probably won't work.

I am so glad to hear that you like them so much, though...it makes me really happy to see a story with a happy ending and these piggies are in very good hands compared to where they were before :)

BriteViolets

Cavy Slave
Welcome @BriteViolets ! What a great story, glad they are getting a permanent home with you. I'm also a stay at home mom and we have two pigs, Lucy is mine and Snickers is "my son's" (aka also mine). I also spent a lot of time stalking these forums before getting my pigs and joining. Good luck with your dominance issues. The big cage should really help a lot. It helped our girls. I love your purple and teal fleece!
Thank you [emoji1]. I think over the last few days they've really started to calm down a bit. Dozer has even started popcorning and running laps, which he's never done before. Yay!

BriteViolets

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh what wonderful piggies! I'm so glad you did your research and gave them such a fantastic life...they must love being able to stretch their legs and run around now. My only question is, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you going to put the two new boys in with your current two, or put them in a seperate cage? It seems like you've done tons of reasearch but I just wanted to make sure. Boars do best in pairs, and sometimes introducing another one to an existing pair can cause problems. Plus, your cage is a fantastic size for two guys (2x5 or larger is best, and your's is technically 2x7 in total!) but four probably won't work.

I am so glad to hear that you like them so much, though...it makes me really happy to see a story with a happy ending and these piggies are in very good hands compared to where they were before :)
Thanks so much! They're loving life in their new cage. It's funny how they have their own ways of letting you know how much the appreciate what we do for them.

I don't mind you asking about my cage plans at all. No, I won't be putting them all together. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do for my new babies cage, but they will have their own 2 x 6.

piggielife

Cavy Slave
Thanks for sharing your lovely story! Such cute piggies :) I'm sure they are loving their new home!

Last edited:

BriteViolets

Cavy Slave

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
Such a lovely story... I'm glad you rescued those boys.. they have a incredibly better life with you.

Its amazing watching the change in them when they go from being poorly cared for to being perfectly cared for isnt it?

I have 2 girls and a boy. I got my girls from a breeder, they're sisters, and I adopted my boy from some friends who didnt have a clue about piggy care (despite the countless times I have them advice). When I got my boy, he was in a tiny pet store cage, with no hidey. His bedding was newspaper with hay over the top and it wasnt changed until they could smell it (which was every few days if he was lucky). He also didnt have a hay rack with separate hay for eating either, his water bottle was slimy inside, he didnt get a daily variety of veggies and his pellet bowl was the size of a dog bowl. His poop was also way way too light. They had 3 piggies die within a matter of months and after the 3rd died they decided not to replace it and to find a new home for their surviving piggy, and so I swooped in and rescued the poor boy.

He is doing infinitely better now in the just over 2 weeks I've had him. His poop is a healthy colour, he gets a variety of veggies, he has a hay rack and a pigloo, and his cage is always clean. At the moment I have him on puppy pads and towels for bedding which is changed several times a day as I just got him neutered a few days ago, but my bedding is kiln dried, dust extracted, soft wood shavings usually... I plan on switching to fleece when I move in to a bigger place (I'm only renting a room atm), but for now, the shavings are what works for me with the space I have

TandZpiggies

Cavy Slave
What a great story! I can't believe the pet store had them had them in a ten gallon tank! They must be so happy to be in the huge cage you built for them.

BriteViolets

Cavy Slave
Such a lovely story... I'm glad you rescued those boys.. they have a incredibly better life with you.

Its amazing watching the change in them when they go from being poorly cared for to being perfectly cared for isnt it?

I have 2 girls and a boy. I got my girls from a breeder, they're sisters, and I adopted my boy from some friends who didnt have a clue about piggy care (despite the countless times I have them advice). When I got my boy, he was in a tiny pet store cage, with no hidey. His bedding was newspaper with hay over the top and it wasnt changed until they could smell it (which was every few days if he was lucky). He also didnt have a hay rack with separate hay for eating either, his water bottle was slimy inside, he didnt get a daily variety of veggies and his pellet bowl was the size of a dog bowl. His poop was also way way too light. They had 3 piggies die within a matter of months and after the 3rd died they decided not to replace it and to find a new home for their surviving piggy, and so I swooped in and rescued the poor boy.

He is doing infinitely better now in the just over 2 weeks I've had him. His poop is a healthy colour, he gets a variety of veggies, he has a hay rack and a pigloo, and his cage is always clean. At the moment I have him on puppy pads and towels for bedding which is changed several times a day as I just got him neutered a few days ago, but my bedding is kiln dried, dust extracted, soft wood shavings usually... I plan on switching to fleece when I move in to a bigger place (I'm only renting a room atm), but for now, the shavings are what works for me with the space I have
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, for some reason Tapatalk stopped working and I'm just now able to get back on.

Thank you though, my boys are so much happier.

I'm so glad you were able to rescue your little guy. He's obviously in much better hands now. I love fleece, I used paper and Aspen, before switching to fleece, both worked fine, but they made my allergies go crazy. All my boys love it too, just wait till you see your piggies react to fleece, that the best part.

I hope your little guy is feeling better now, and having a good time playing with your girls. [emoji4]

BriteViolets

Cavy Slave
@TandZpiggies Thank you! I can't believe it either. Those big chain stores could so easily do so much good for small animals, but nope even when they're adopting them out they still make it about the money.

Elyzian

Cavy Slave
@BriteViolets its alright.. Tapatalk has messed up for me too, wont let me post or read any threads for some reason.

I mostly want to switch to fleece not only because it is cheaper in the long run, but I'm sick of having to vacuum every day because they kick the bedding out like crazy from doing laps and popcorning.

Muppet isnt with the girls just yet, his neuter site is all healed now and then at the end of next week will be the end of the 4 week waiting period so he will get to go in with them then.. I let them have supervised lap time for now, and Naobi just loves him, where as her sister Trinity couldnt give a damn lol.

I'm so excited, and soon they will have an entire room to go crazy in :D.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.