Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grrr a couple of examples of a breeder that houses pigs in tiny cages:(

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys,

How boring those pigs lives must be, breed/eat in a small cage with just plain old bedding in a tiny wooden shed that they can't see out of. Boy what a life:guilty:

One thing I was thinking of recently..is that registered breeders of ANY type of animal should have a comulsory inspection by animal welfare of their place atleast twice a year to make sure that their animals are being kept/fed/treated/housed in satisfactory conditions.

(broken link removed)

<link deleted by VJ because the breeder is redirecting the link to an anti-animal-rescue site. Typical of a breeder>

*~jess~*

Last edited by a moderator:

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Scroll down to Billede Gallery...the pikc of the pigs chewing the bars of the cage....those cages look so tiny...

(broken link removed)

Another link...

(broken link removed)

And another

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

PS: In posting these I'm not suggesting all setups are like this, am just simply posting the not so nice ones. I dont like the plastic sided cage ideas what a boring life living in a small plastic container!!

Also forgot to mention...I'm not nessessarily critisizing the bedding/health of all animals in the above linksbutmostly the cage sizes.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
That first one is awful - looks like 2 or 3 pigs to one of those horrible little 'cages'. At least in the second link you gave the cages are a better size. That 4th link is even worse than the first - they can't be able to breathe in those containers! And wire bottomed cages for the bunnies. Typical.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
The last one is breeding roans as well. I hate to think what will happen when her children become bored of them.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Oh my, they went to Niagra for a Cavy Convention. I wan't aware such horrible shows happened in my own backyard.

I wonder if Cavies-and- Kids knows about it? I am pretty sure she lives closer to Niagra then I do.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Sabriel said:
Oh my, they went to Niagra for a Cavy Convention. I wan't aware such horrible shows happened in my own backyard.

I wonder if Cavies-and- Kids knows about it? I am pretty sure she lives closer to Niagra then I do.

Nope, I wasn't aware, although i am not very surprised. Grrr...

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
I sent an email to the last breeder, garbers guineas i think it was. It wasn't neccesarily mean and viscious, just a heads up about the overpop. problem and their small cages. It really makes my sick.

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
I can't believe they have websites & post all these pictures like they are proud of their set-ups. Ya' it neet & clean and all, but those cages are dispicable(sp?) Those people don't :love: cavies, they are just a project or a business or something. Too sad :weepy:.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Um, just curious, but for the second link, did any of you guys get sent to (broken link removed)? I did...

That first cage set up just looks horrible, and so do the others. I'd love to put those breeders in a bathroom in their house without company/with just one other person taking up room.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
DocDolittle said:
Um, just curious, but for the second link, did any of you guys get sent to (broken link removed)? I did...

That first cage set up just looks horrible, and so do the others. I'd love to put those breeders in a bathroom in their house without company/with just one other person taking up room.

I clicked the link earlier and it didn't do that.. but now it does take you to www.petakillsanimals.com :confused:

laura220

Cavy Slave
It directs me to the breeder site.

You know the second link in Enchantingcavy's second post. Is that the sound of an annoyed pig? Or curious?

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
They're breeding roan x roan AND they're breeding skinnies...

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I have a feeling the owner of the second link found out it was posted here and did a redirect. It did not redirect this morning but it does now.

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Oh the sneak! Yes it redirecting for me to...
Yeah the second last one is a shocker...

~jess~*

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Yeah guys,

Honestly they are in a different state of mind in the way they " view " their piggies...they are looked at as " breeding stock " not pets and it's a different mind state where you're judging every detail of the animal and it's genetics and can get into it so much you literally lose the reality of it all that these are guinea pigs and they have souls and are not objects to judge...some people get such a kick from showing it's a feeling of pride and of achievement that again you can get so stuck into it you lose reality that these are live animals...

*~jess~*

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
I have found some more attrocious cages by looking at the links on the first page. I just don't understand why people think that breeding is a good thing, when recues are filled up with piggies who want a home, and when breeding is not beneficial to the cavy, only fun for the people who raise them. Anyway, these are the cages.

(broken link removed)

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
My "emergency" hospital cage is twice the size of the largest cage there, and I only use for one pig if it really is an emergency - cos it is just too small to run about in.

Before anyone asks - I bought it (in an emergency) for a sick pig needing round the clock care - it was the only thing I could get locally and it was years ago. It spends most of it's time in the loft! I certainly wouldn't post pictures of it with TWO pigs in, saying "aren't I a good owner". Very sad.

weaseldropping

Cavy Gazer
x0PiggyPerson0x said:
I have found some more attrocious cages by looking at the links on the first page. I just don't understand why people think that breeding is a good thing, when recues are filled up with piggies who want a home, and when breeding is not beneficial to the cavy, only fun for the people who raise them. Anyway, these are the cages.

(broken link removed)

Can't believe it.

This is a direct quote from the site:

Cavies love hay! We do not feed hay to our cavies because Steve is very allergic to it. We have recently tried some alfalfa cubes and they seem to be accepting these now

Left speechless.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I found that a little while ago as I was browsing the site. The carelessness of some people is truly disturbing...

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They love hay so they do not feed it? How does that make sense?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.