PDA

View Full Version : I swear I only went to look... Introducing Lucy and Snickers!

CavyChrissy
07-16-15, 10:04 pm
Hi! I'm Christene and I'm so excited to be introducing my new girls! They are Lucy and Snickers, they are about 3.5 years old, and we just adopted them from a rescue a few days ago.
Snickers is on the left (white face with tan around the eye, one front foot is black and one is white) and Lucy on the right in the box (white face, tan neck). They are both tri-color American short hairs. Their coloring is fairly similar, so I still have to look closely before calling their names!

Lucy
Snickers

Here's the story that explains my title: back in February we agreed to let my daughter get a small pet and started researching. We settled on a hamster for her. But I found myself reading more about guinea pigs, reading these forums, and stalking Petfinder. They are just so cute and quirky! So after waiting until the family road trip was done and much convincing of the husband, I was almost ready to adopt. Just had to make the awesome cage I've sketched up. But I thought, let's go visit some adoptables just to be REALLY sure this is the pet for me before I start buying supplies. So an hour we drove to meet a pair of sows in a foster home. And they were so sweet! The pigs were fine with me and my kids holding them and petting them. The foster lady said they were the most tame pair she's seen! I just knew they were the right pigs for us, so in my van they went!

A quick text to my friend/neighbor who also has guinea pigs, and a (temporary) pet store cage and some basic supplies were waiting for us at home. Then a trip to Petco (yes, I know, not the best quality stuff, but again temporary) got us set up with a few more items. This weekend we are going to build a nice big cage.

So even though I swore I wouldn't be one of those people who gets guinea pigs on whim and would have all my stuff set up first, here I am with my wonderful new girls in my little pet store cage on the floor, big plans in my head, and a smile on my face !

GiuneaPigLover
07-17-15, 12:27 am
I hope your new piggies give you as much joy as my piggies do.

piggielife
07-17-15, 05:24 am
They are very cute!!!

TandZpiggies
07-17-15, 06:14 am
They are adorable!

Kelsie
07-17-15, 02:30 pm
They are just adorable. Do you know if they are sisters?

Thank you so much for adopting these girls. The foster parents do an amazing job but it's always so nice to hear when a piggy goes to their forever home. Enjoy those beautiful ladies.

PandaPiggle
07-17-15, 02:51 pm
So even though I swore I wouldn't be one of those people who gets guinea pigs on whim and would have all my stuff set up first, here I am with my wonderful new girls in my little pet store cage on the floor, big plans in my head, and a smile on my face !

As long as you rescue them, it doesn't matter to me! I knew I needed a C&C cage, but I couldn't motivate myself to order one before I had a pig, so I got Agnes (my avatar) from some people on Craigslist with her teeny tiny cage (it was hamster-cage sized), and then ordered her a C&C the next day and got her a buddy a few weeks later. I figured a few more days in the tiny cage was worth the rest of her lifetime in a C&C :)

CavyChrissy
07-18-15, 03:37 pm
Thanks everyone! Kelsie, we're not sure if they're sisters. I asked the rescue and they weren't sure (they said they had been at another rescue before that and those people weren't sure either). Although now that I've had them a few days, I would guess that Lucy might actually be older than Snickers. She seems to have issues with one eye - looks a little glassy and might even be blind (she didn't seem to notice a hand waving on that side of her). She's also way more relaxed and happy to snuggle in a cuddle cup in my lap.

PandaPiggle, thanks for sharing your story. I didn't think of it that way, but the cage I have them in is about the same size as the one they were in at the rescue. So they are certainly no worse off and, I like to think, even better because of all the love, fresh veggies, and attention we give them!

Rocky5
07-18-15, 05:33 pm
Good luck on the piglets! I would love to see some adorable pigtures of them!! And it looks like Lucy has blue eyes! Love the illusion!

CavyChrissy
07-25-15, 03:56 pm
Good luck on the piglets! I would love to see some adorable pigtures of them!! And it looks like Lucy has blue eyes! Love the illusion!

Thanks Rocky5 ! Here are a few pictures in their new huge cage!

Rocky5
07-25-15, 04:08 pm
So cute <3