PDA

View Full Version : Size Small, multi-level cages?

J.Bosley
07-13-15, 08:13 pm
Hi all!
After my hubby decided that he doesn't want a huge cage, we re-homes our two little rescue boys to a really nice family who are building them a huge C&C cage!

Now we are looking into adopting a little chocolate brown boy, who carries adenovirus (correct me if I'm spelling that wrong). They have tried numerous times to house him with another pig, but they end up catching it and getting pneumonia! He's currently living with my vet, as he was surrendered to the vet clinic I go to. The old owner was tired of him making all her piggies sick. He's been treated, but seems to be a carrier and most likely has to be house alone.

Id love to build a C&C cage that suits his needs, but isn't huge and overwhelming to my hubby! Any ideas and photos would be amazing!!!!

Lagertha
07-13-15, 08:30 pm
a 2x3 for one pig isn't all that big! :) my hubby and I have a 664 sq foot apartment and have a temporary 2x3 and a main 2x4 cage with L-shaped top level of 1x2 and 1x2.5. You could easily have a 2x3 with a 1x2 hay loft!

J.Bosley
07-13-15, 08:39 pm
Lagertha that's a great idea!!! Hopefully he'll go with it... We're going to be baby sitting the piggy for a month while the vet is on vacation, so maybe if I show my hubby the size of the "could be" cage he might be okay with it. He doesn't want our spare room to turn into an animal room! And since my rabbit has a massive cage, the though of another cage that large made my hubby not want two piggies

Lagertha
07-13-15, 08:44 pm
@Lagertha (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=35373) that's a great idea!!! Hopefully he'll go with it... We're going to be baby sitting the piggy for a month while the vet is on vacation, so maybe if I show my hubby the size of the "could be" cage he might be okay with it. He doesn't want our spare room to turn into an animal room! And since my rabbit has a massive cage, the though of another cage that large made my hubby not want two piggies

the 2x3 should win him over :) and since the piggy would be on his own he won't need a 2x5 or 2x6 to have a buddy! a 2x3 is suiting my boar (in quarantine for 1 more week since he got neutered) just fine! :) he does laps and popcorns all the time :)

J.Bosley
07-13-15, 08:53 pm
Lagertha awesome! We'll see how my hubby feels. I'll set up a 2x3 cage, minus coroplast, and see if he thinks it's too big. Hopefully he won't! I'd love to give this little fellow a good home...

Lagertha
07-13-15, 09:13 pm
@Lagertha (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=35373) awesome! We'll see how my hubby feels. I'll set up a 2x3 cage, minus coroplast, and see if he thinks it's too big. Hopefully he won't! I'd love to give this little fellow a good home...

that sounds like a good plan! Also let him know that it's super easy to move around too!!!! :)

pinky
07-14-15, 05:50 am
Since you've already rehomed two guinea pigs, I'd hesitate bringing in another. It sounds like your husband isn't on board and anything less than a 2x3 isn't appropriate for a guinea pig so it's unfair to the guinea pig to bring it in when there's a chance it could end up in substandard housing or be rehomed. A pet needs to be a commitment from the whole family.

lisanjake
07-14-15, 06:28 am
id tell my bf he can live on the balcony, but my gps are having as much space as they need! haha

J.Bosley
07-14-15, 07:08 am
Since you've already rehomed two guinea pigs, I'd hesitate bringing in another. It sounds like your husband isn't on board and anything less than a 2x3 isn't appropriate for a guinea pig so it's unfair to the guinea pig to bring it in when there's a chance it could end up in substandard housing or be rehomed. A pet needs to be a commitment from the whole family.

We are pig sitting first! That's how I am going to gage my hubby, he already said I could pig sit no problem. Once the little guy is here I plan on talking to my hubby about possibly keeping him and show him the age size. If he's not okay with it, piggy goes back to the vet so they can find him an adopter! But I do completely agree with what your saying, pets need to be a family decision for sure.

Lagertha
07-16-15, 10:43 pm
Any luck???

J.Bosley
07-17-15, 07:06 pm
@Legertha we *might* be pet sitting the piggy the end of next week for a month! Just waiting to hear back from the vet after he's confirmed his vacation.

Lagertha
07-17-15, 10:51 pm
J.Bosley I'll keep my fingers crossed that you guys get the confirmation! :D

J.Bosley
07-18-15, 06:17 am
Lagertha thanks! Even if we don't keep him, It would be fun to pet sit haha

Lagertha
07-18-15, 03:55 pm
@Lagertha (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=35373) thanks! Even if we don't keep him, It would be fun to pet sit haha

I couldn't agree more :)

Lady Amelia
07-20-15, 02:33 pm
J.Bosley please remind your hubby of my favorite saying "Happy wife, Happy life". Let us know how it goes!!

J.Bosley
07-20-15, 05:38 pm
Thanks guys!!

Hopefully picking up the piggy this weekend, but we'll see. It will be fun to have one around! Even if just for a bit, they are so cute

J.Bosley
08-07-15, 07:15 pm
My laptop and phone kicked the bucket at the same time! But I'm back now.

We piggy sat little Chestnut for a few weeks! He was a joy to have, so sweet and friendly. The vet had decided to keep him as a personal pet, which was great, although we were thinking of keeping him. So we recently (today actually haha) rescued a female piggy from someone who just didn't bother to care for her anymore! We weren't planning on getting her, but a friends cousin was neglecting her and my friend knows I'm a sucker.

Her name is Bleu! My friend helps with a small pet rescue, and has had her almost a month. She is healthy, though hasn't had much veggies in her previous diet, and is determined to be a lone piggy! She bit the ear off a cage mate, and beat up another girl they tried her with. We might try again with a pairing in the future. But for now she's gonna start getting a proper diet and lots of love!

magicpiggie
08-07-15, 08:57 pm
Awwwww she is so fuzzy you would never guess she's be harmful...

wombats
08-08-15, 07:26 am
Oh, stop it, that's just too cute! I've never really seen a gray-white guinea pig before and she's such a cutie. I'm glad you've decided to keep her, and that the first boy is also in a good home, that makes me really happy. :)

And just remember, if you try pairing her again if it doesn't work out, you'll need to have a plan for the other piggy. Be that another cage with another friend or rehoming, you'll need a plan. But honestly, it could just be that the care she was given gave her a not so nice attitude to other piggies, or that introductions were done wrong (a very likely option), or maybe she is just plain agressive! But whatever you do, I hope it works out. Another good option is if you can look around and see if there's a rescue near you that will do introductions there. I know a few rescues, if you already have a guinea pig, won't let you adopt one if you don't bring in the current one. They actually pair at the rescue/foster home based on the piggies personality and let the PIGS decide who they want to be with. That way if it doesn't work out the first time, they can try another 2 (I know that's how MSRP does it. They only try 3 times because ,ore than that can put too much stress on them) and if THAT doesn't work, then they can confirm she needs to be alone, or can continue to plan another course of action.

Of course if that ISN'T an option, maybe once she settles down and gets used to her posh life just try again. :) I'm starting to think that maybe they didn't do introductions right/at all and that caused the aggression...I could be wrong, but it's always worth a try.

J.Bosley
08-08-15, 08:09 am
wombats thanks!! From the sound of things they did do proper introductions, but who knows! For now she's gonna settle in and get a larger cage. Right now she is super freaked out, but seemed to love the romain and bell pepper I gave her last night. Gave her some oxbow pellets and hay too! Hopefully she settles in quickly and I can start to get to know her. I loved her colours too! And she's huge... Way bigger than the skinny pig I fostered.

just8be8free
08-08-15, 04:33 pm
She's so cute; I don't know how someone could mistreat such a cute guinea pig (: But know she will have a much happier life. And I love the name Bleu If the new introductions don't work out couldn't you just add another level. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that didn't take up extra space, with width.

J.Bosley
08-08-15, 07:15 pm
just8be8free she is definitely cute! Very skittish still. I went out and got her a Marchioro cage, someone online gave it to me for free! It is way larger than the cage she came with. Poor girl! I made a hidey around out of fleece for her. I'm hoping she settles in soon. She was none to happy to have me pick her up and put her into the new cage.

I will ill definitely be building up if she has to be a lone pig! I can't wait for her to settle in more.