Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Messy Piggy

michoulas

Cavy Gazer
Hi there, I am new to this forum so heres my little hello. I do have a question for all you cavy lovers, I currently have a 2x5 bottom cage with fleece bedding, and a 2x2 top with care fresh and their hay. The top part is no problem for me mess wise. The issue I have is I first had one guinea pig that was 100% litter trained to only wee upstairs, then two weeks ago i got a second guinea pig and he just wont figure out the system punzy and I have going, I have a litter box in the bottom corner and have been placing some of his poops in there but he wont take. The smell is so bad I am changing the fleece bedding more than twice a week versus every ten days or so from before. My parents can't stand the smell and complain constantly, I just can't keep up with it. Does anyone have any advice to get him to wee upstairs? I feel like I'm running out of options.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I think since you got a second boy, they both began to mark and boy is that stinky. It levels off with age, it really does. It took mine about 3-4 months about to stop, your best bet is to leave something dirty after you clean, so they have less to remark.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Do you have anything under the fleece? If not, that's why it's beginning to smell. You need to have some kind of absorbent layer underneath the fleece, else it'll just sit there and begin to smell.

michoulas

Cavy Gazer
thanks for the replies everyone! i forgot to mention i started with the female and adopted a neutered male so would he still be marking? and I do have pee pads underneath the fleece, should I be changing these daily or be using something else to absorb? as far as the corner litter pans, the female used them and now they poop in it a bit and sleep in it, maybe i should try a feline litter pan for the bottom?

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Many forum members have had serious luck with wood pellets. I use them in my girls' main potty areas and they are amazing. I have 6 pigs and there is no smell whatsoever.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
My boars came with peed pads which I used for a little while in their litter box, but yeah, they get soiled in like a day, if that.

Most people recommend either uhaul blankets or wood pellets for underneath the fleece. I myself am using wood pellets at the moment (I previously used the uhaul stuff) and it is am absolute joy. You can find more information about wood pellets here.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I hate disposable pee pads. I used them for about a week and had to change them daily because of the smell even though I only had one small/young guinea pig. I use uHaul pads now and they can go up to a week without being washed before they get smelly. The cage for my two dainty, halfway potty trained girls can go two weeks and still not smell as long as I change out their kitchen area.

michoulas

Cavy Gazer
okay perfect, I'm going to take a look into both solutions! thanks again :)

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
Do you spot clean at the recomended times? Moring and night? if you dont thats the problem

Spritzysmomma

Cavy Gazer
Do litter boxes really work?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.