PDA

View Full Version : General New Cat- Jumps on top of cage?

guineaboo
07-08-15, 05:53 pm
Hello! I just got a new cat today. He hasnt attempted to hurt the pigs yet but he does watch them. He's never housed with guinea pigs so he's curious to what they are. He actually got scared by one of them as well. He has to be in my room along with the guinea pigs for the first couple of weeks. However, twice now he's jumped on the top of the guinea pig cage and gently batted his paw around. Im worried about the top collapsing in on the pigs and im also worried that he'll hurt them. Any suggestions on what i can do to the cage to keep the pigs safe?

just8be8free
07-08-15, 05:55 pm
I'm no expert but I would make sure that the cats paw doesn't fit in the space between the bars (if that's the sort of cage you have).

wombats
07-08-15, 06:05 pm
What kind of top do you have? I use a wire closet shelf with grids along the back and it supports the weight of a very fat cat just fine. We have three cats in total and we've had no trouble, even though they were curious to start with too. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you...just make sure the top is nice and secure to wherever it's hinged (zip ties may help) and it should be fine

guineaboo
07-08-15, 07:29 pm
What kind of top do you have? I use a wire closet shelf with grids along the back and it supports the weight of a very fat cat just fine. We have three cats in total and we've had no trouble, even though they were curious to start with too. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you...just make sure the top is nice and secure to wherever it's hinged (zip ties may help) and it should be fine 75270 this is the cage that I have but the top doesn't fit that well it doesnt clasp in two of the 8 spots

mecole
07-08-15, 07:43 pm
One of my childhood guinea pigs actually loved it when my cat (declawed) would stick his paw in the cage. She would run out to the paw and sniff it. However, I think the two keys are that a) the guinea pig is not being traumatized and b) there is NO chance of the cat getting inside or somehow hurting your piggie. Otherwise, you might find the cat gets bored or develops a perfectly amicable relationship with your pig.

guineaboo
07-08-15, 08:46 pm
One of my childhood guinea pigs actually loved it when my cat (declawed) would stick his paw in the cage. She would run out to the paw and sniff it. However, I think the two keys are that a) the guinea pig is not being traumatized and b) there is NO chance of the cat getting inside or somehow hurting your piggie. Otherwise, you might find the cat gets bored or develops a perfectly amicable relationship with your pig. My cat has his claws. The guinea pigs actually got scared when he jumped up and ran away so I don't think it'll be an issue that way. He actually had a confrontation with one while i was feeding them today. He sniffed him and my cavy sniffed him and he didn't really care after that. However, he did jump on the cage again and stare down at them, looking for them because i had to put cardboard on the top so he wasn't able to put his paws in. Do you think for the night i should put a blanket or something around them so they cant get hurt? of course they'd be able to get fresh air.

mecole
07-08-15, 08:52 pm
I would, personally, or find a way to keep the cat out of that room. There's always the chance that the cat could claw them or poke them in a delicate place (i.e. in the eye). I think it's really a "better safe than sorry" situation. If you keep them apart or protected, nothing bad will happen, but if you leave it up to chance, it's possible something could go wrong.

lunarminx
07-09-15, 03:12 am
I would lock him in the bathroom when you are not in the room with them. I do not see a way to make that cage secure enough to leave him alone with them. One thing you can try is to get some cardboard and double sided tape. Cut the cardboard to fit, clip it to the top of the cage. Put stripes of the tape down the cardboard all the way across every 1/2 inch. Cats hate the tape on their paws, its also a good wat to break them of jumping on tables.