Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie here.... Meet Gary.

Anita Varrassi

Cavy Slave
We just adopted a piggie from Petco today. He is extremely sweet. My daughter named him Gary from the snail on spongebob.
I am reading up more on piggies now and would like to get him a better cage then the one from Petco.

Is there anyway to see around how old they are? The lady didn't know but knew he was a little older than the others as he was in his own cage. But the others didn't have his sweet personality. He loves to snuggle. <3

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Taylor_Mett18

Cavy Slave
Aw he's so cute!

k5mow

Cavy Slave
So cool.

Roger

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Why hello Gary! There isn't any way to estimate age, although if you get him from Petco he's most likely young, probably less than a few months.

If you want to get a bigger cage, the best option is a C&C cage, made of storage Cubes and Coroplast (corrugated plastic). You can read more about them here, and either get one through the cages store (some assembly required) or build one yourself (more assembly required).

Also have you considered getting Gary a buddy? Guinea pigs are very social and seriously appreciate having a friend who speaks their language, as long as their cage is big enough for two :)

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
Hi Gary! He is so cute!!! I love his colors :D It looks like he is a chocolate agouti, buff, and white TSW (tortoiseshell with white) ! Super cute!
If he was from the pet store than he is probably no older that 6 months or so. If you have digital kitchen scales then you can weigh him! my pigs weigh around 700-900 grams and they are 7 months old so that could help at guessing his age!

and I agree with @PandaPiggle! buddies are awesome for pigs :) If you get another boy (and make sure it is a boy haha) then they will need at least a 2x5 C&C Cage :) (c&c's are the best! super cost effective and WAY more space for the piggies!)
There is endless info here and plenty of knowledgeable piggy owners that can answer probably ANY question you could think of! :)Welcome to
the forum! :D

Nilda

Cavy Slave
I would make sure that he is indeed a boy as well! He's very cute!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
edit on my first post, he looks like his base coat is gold agouti rather than chocolate since it looks darker than chocolate agouti :)

best page I have found to tell the difference in coat colors :) (broken link removed)
it's pretty fun to look over!

Anita Varrassi

Cavy Slave
Thanks yall. We wanted a buddy for him but he was in the cage alone and the other cage of males were smaller and extremely skiddish. So we will continue looking for him one. Will verify his gender when he's more used to me. :)

quick question:
he doesn't use the door to his hut. He will nudge his nose under the side of it and pop under it to get in or out. Only if he gets scared will he go running in it through the front opening. Is this a normal piggie thing or one of his quirks? It's cute I was just wondering. :)

PandaPiggle

Cavy Slave
Maybe try and adopt a buddy, either from a shelter/rescue or Craigslist? There are so many piggies out there who are a little bigger and more used to people. But definitely wait until you've got a nice big cage :)

And it sounds like you've got a quirky pig! Lots of pigs have cute quirks, mine like to flatten their tunnels and sit on top of them.

Anita Varrassi

Cavy Slave
Thanks I figured it was but wanted to ask. It's adorable as sometimes he nudges it right next to the opening, lol. Aww your piggies sound so cute. :)

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
I would try to get him a friend sooner rather than later. It can help him become less skittish and more social with you. My guinea pig Bear when he was with his friend loved to petted which was odd as he is like super skittish. Think about, also i would get the new cage set up and things before you get the pig so that they don't have to much longer to be in small cages. Good luck.

kim.mcginn268

Cavy Slave
Thanks yall. We wanted a buddy for him but he was in the cage alone and the other cage of males were smaller and extremely skiddish. So we will continue looking for him one. Will verify his gender when he's more used to me. :)

quick question:
he doesn't use the door to his hut. He will nudge his nose under the side of it and pop under it to get in or out. Only if he gets scared will he go running in it through the front opening. Is this a normal piggie thing or one of his quirks? It's cute I was just wondering. :)
Hey my boys do the same thing pop under it as well as usin fb the opening I think it's cute as well

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.