Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Water Bottle Help Needed

Taylor_Mett18

Cavy Slave
Hi there everyone,

I just have a few dumb questions but I'll start off with explaining the situation. I have a 7 month old skinny pig with a water bottle that constantly leaks! This is my second water bottle that he's used and both times it has ended in his paper bedding getting soaked and me changing it every hour or 2. I watched him drink tonight and realized that he doesn't quite understand the concept of closing his mouth around the bottle as he drinks so he catches the water that he's satisfied with and lets the rest fall to the floor of his cage. After he gets his drink and goes back to playing the water bottle sometimes even continues to drip! But the point of this post is to ask a few questions so...

1. Does anyone else have this same problem?
2. What do you have under the bottle to catch any drips?
3. Even if you haven't had this problem what would you recommend, or what do you use to absorb water in your pig's cage?

Thanks in advance
~Taylor, 14

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
My bottle usually does not leak. It is a Kaytee glass water bottle. But if it does I put bottle pads under it. They are fleece with some absorbent material. Go to peewees piggy palce on etsy or Shop.piggiepigpigs.com to get some. Or you can add a brick or some extra bedding on that drippy spot.

Taylor_Mett18

Cavy Slave
Do you happen to know around how long the drippy fleece pad would take to dry? The fleece here in Canada isn't very absorbent where we've bought from.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece isn't absorbent at all. That's why it works so well in guinea pig cages -- it just wick the liquid through to the bottom absorbent layer. And fleece dries very quickly.

Taylor_Mett18

Cavy Slave
Alright thank you both so much! And are the pads that you were talking about washable and re-usable or do you throw them away after use? (@Beatrix187)

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Definitely reusable:) You can wash them a lot of times.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
They last for at least over a year.

Taylor_Mett18

Cavy Slave
Alright, that's great thank you SO much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.