PDA

View Full Version : Scratching Safe flea treatment for guinea pigs

pigmommy89
06-29-15, 01:49 pm
Is there anything that is safe to use on guinea pigs to prevent/treat fleas? I have heard that original advantage (imidacloprid only) is safe to use but I want to be sure. It is no longer sold as advantage but Bayer markets it as a different product through petsmart.

bpatters
06-29-15, 01:59 pm
The problem with Advantage II (the new product) is that it contains a very high amount of the active ingredient to kill fleas. It's necessary to do this for it to be effective for dogs, but it's too much for guinea pigs. Will it kill your pig? Maybe, maybe not.

Revolution for kittens should work, but it requires a prescription in this country. You might get a prescription from your vet, or you can order it from Australia from an online pharmacy.

Are you sure they've got fleas? Pigs that don't go outside usually don't have them unless you've had a major flea infestation in the house.

pigmommy89
06-29-15, 02:17 pm
I use Advantage II for my cats but Petsmart also sells a product called Bayer Defense that is identical in ingredients and concentration to original Advantage.

I have one pig that is self-barbering and I did find a flea on her. The dog brings them in sometimes, and you find the occassional one in spite of treating everybody. I don't know if that's even why she's chewing her hair, but I thought maybe.

foggycreekcavy
07-01-15, 01:53 pm
Ahhh! Do not use Bayer Defense on your guinea pig. It's not the same as original Advantage. It contains pyrethrins that are toxic to guinea pigs. It's a product for dogs, which should not be used on guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are self groomers like cats, and will ingest these toxic ingredients.

lunarminx
07-01-15, 02:15 pm
Do guinea pigs even get fleas? I haven't taken mind outside this year and its already too hot but I do not remember them having a problem before with them.

pigmommy89
07-01-15, 03:01 pm
Ahhh! Do not use Bayer Defense on your guinea pig. It's not the same as original Advantage. It contains pyrethrins that are toxic to guinea pigs. It's a product for dogs, which should not be used on guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are self groomers like cats, and will ingest these toxic ingredients.

They have it for cats too, without the pyrethrins. At any rate, I called my vet and she said to try treating her for scurvy since she's also hopping like a bunny. If she's not vastly improved in a week I have to take her in. But given the diet I feed, the vet says it may be an absorption issue. In other words, even if she consumes enough vitamin C, her body may not be using it properly.

Thanks for the advice. I would never consider putting a dog product on my cats or my guinea pigs.