Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Transport Carrier Ideas?

piggielife

Cavy Slave
My two boys will be going to meet their new vet on 7/11/15 and I'm wondering what everyone uses to transport their piggies? The vet clinic is just over a mile away. Being youngsters, they are still a little skittish at times and I don't want to use something too open-ended like a cat carrier to get pee and poo in the car.

I use a cat carrier or a laundry basket but I really didn't like the open laundry basket and only used it once. You can buy or use a store bought cage if you have one.

I have one similar to the one rywen has and I love it I can seatbelt it in the front seat and lif the top up to pet them and help keep them calm. Transport Carrier Ideas?Transport Carrier Ideas?

I'm wishing I'd bought the 24" one, I never imagined they would each weigh over 1130g! I seatbelt mine in too.

I've got the same one as @Rywen but a little larger for 5 piggies, and this morning we had a small electrical smoke and sparks type fire (stupid water heater) so I packed them in to go outside while we waited for the fire department. After this morning, I'd recommend keeping it somewhere easy to grab in case of emergency.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses! I ordered the one @Rywen linked to, but the 24 inch one from Amazon. @pandapiggie, sorry to hear about the small fire, hope everyone is okay. Hey, I'm in NC as well! :)

Thanks @piggielife - Everything's perfectly fine, our water heater just made smoke and sparks which was freaky so the fire department came and was like "replace the water heater now because it's dead!" But before the fire department came, when we had no idea what was going on, the fire department told us to vacate and I couldn't leave the piggies. One firefighter was impressed that I "had an emergency plan"... More like just pack the piggies then bolt! My roommate had like her computer and stuff... I had a carrier full of piggies!!!

And yay for lots of people in NC! :)

I keep mine underneath their cage so if need be in an emergency .sorry about your electrical fire but I'm glad you did the right thing in getting them out.so many times the pets are forgotten.especially the small ones.I'm a firefighter and been on a few calls were the pets didn't make it.once doing primary search found a little yorkie it was so sad.

You can get a cardboard one from one of the pet stores for about $7.

I've got the same one as @Rywen but a little larger for 5 piggies, and this morning we had a small electrical smoke and sparks type fire (stupid water heater) so I packed them in to go outside while we waited for the fire department. After this morning, I'd recommend keeping it somewhere easy to grab in case of emergency.

How big is it? I've been looking for a carrier for a larger size herd.

I have the 24" one, and while all my five pigs definitely fit inside, and had room to move, I've got tiny piggies (none much over 1 kg) and I'll probably get a smaller soft carrier so I can split the herd if it's not an emergency because it's not much space.

This was a big hit at the vet. I made a chloroplast bottom wrapped in fleece and Uhaul. It Transport Carrier Ideas?comes with a water bottle carrier and held both of my girls.

Attachments

carrier.jpg
I got a small dog carrier for $15 or so at WalMart and put fleece baby blankets (all my piggies have their own xD) inside with a small towel underneath if they need to be moved in the car to the vets or anything like that. I may need to get another one or a bigger one since all my pigs are still growing :p but it works great right now! it has little storage spaces on top that I stores treats for the ride :D
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Petmate-...l-Multiple-Sizes-Available-Cats-Dogs/16785059 (I have the small one! :) )

I washed it down with white vinegar and water to make sure there wasn't anything on it that could harm my pigs (it smelt very strongly of plastic, obviously, but I didn't like it. The vinegar got rid of the smell right away!)

Since I'm on the thought of it now: does anyone know what size to recommend for 3 piggies??? The one I have now is okay for 2, but I have a little 3 week old baby and she is growing fast and I doubt they would all enjoy traveling in a small sized carrier :p

@Lagertha - The one I have is pretty much the same as yours except it also opens on the top, and it's the next size up. I would think it would be good for three piggies, which is my intent when I get a different bag carrier for two piggies (I have five). But even for emergencies, five pigs did fit in there okay.

I like to use a laundry basket with fleece and a cozy because my pigs seem to be less nervous when they can see what's going on. However, last time we went to the vet my pig Max hopped out of the basket and into my lap from the passenger seat. The vet is less than a mile away from our house but that scared me so now he has to go in his carrier. I have two of the medium sized Kaytee ones. My boars do not get along and cannot share a carrier. I live in tornado alley so we have to have an emergency plan. One smallish pig will probably fit just fine in a small sized one of these. I got the medium ones just because one of my pigs weighs nearly 3 pounds and the other is 11 inches long.

@Lagertha - The one I have is pretty much the same as yours except it also opens on the top, and it's the next size up. I would think it would be good for three piggies, which is my intent when I get a different bag carrier for two piggies (I have five). But even for emergencies, five pigs did fit in there okay.

Okay awesome! I found the one you're talking about and might just get it when money allows. Until them I have a large laundry basket. it's super cute :D It has a woven design and plenty of space for my pigs!) If I can't spare the $40 for the new carrier I might just make a lid for the basket and use that :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.