PDA

View Full Version : Behavior Never leave animals, children or boyfriends unsupervised with your food.

HannibalLecter
06-25-15, 03:52 am
All children who get into contact with my pigs are supervised & told to never offer them anything unless given permission & with me there.
So far this has worked well & without any incidents, but I completely forgot abut the biggest "child" in my life.

My pigs tend to wheek at (to them) inedible weird food smells such as bacon, subway sandwiches, waffles and yesterday - pancakes.
And of course, my lovely boyfriend likes to "offer" them these items as a joke when I'm not looking, as they get absolutely horrified looks on their faces when the food is up close. Until yesterday. Apparently I have a pig who is mad about pancakes, and a partner stupid enough to give it to her. The fact that she's supposed to be a lactose intolerant herbivore has gone completely over both of their heads..

"She's not supposed to eat ANY of the ingredients."
"I get that, but my mum had a rabbit who ate eggs and steak.."

spy9doc
06-25-15, 06:54 am
I understand your angst, but I have a pig who doesn't know that he is a herbivore and goes mad for hamburger, egg sandwiches, veggie pizza (no cheese), and occasionally other non-approved foods. He loves to "taste" different foods, and unless it's outright dangerous and poses a risk for choking, I permit him to have a bite or two. I've never observed any ill effects from this and given the fact that it is not frequent, I doubt that we will deny him the occasional "guilty pleasure".

lunarminx
06-25-15, 07:24 am
The guys loved Outshine Pineapple bars last year. I have not gotten any this summer yet, I am sure the girls will too.

LifeAsItMayBe
06-25-15, 09:06 am
My girls perk up at the scent of chocolate. Considering what it does to dogs, I never let them more than sniff it. They also react to any kind of plastic packaging, so often I have to remind my dad they can't have nuts or potato chips.

HannibalLecter
06-25-15, 09:09 am
Ah, so I can just look the other way during these food experiments?
It just seems like it goes against everything I've read on guinea pig nutrition, and we all go crazy over people feeding pet store treats.

ThePigAlchemist
06-25-15, 10:58 am
I'm in the "no forbidden foods ever" camp, personally. I don't want to take the risk. I have a friend whose guinea pig wheeks when she turns on the oven or makes meat. She never acts on his desires, but she's always confused by them.

Nazgul
06-25-15, 11:00 am
I know how that is. I never really trust other people around my pets because no matter how well-meaning they are, people seem to think that "I fed my _____ the thing once and it didn't kill them therefore it's safe". Or people who think they're animal nutrition experts because they've been feeling their animals junk for years and they lived "normal" lives. *rolls eyes*

My piggies managed to eat a cheerio that had fallen on the floor the morning prior once, but that's about it. Otherwise it's mainly my dog that people try to feed crud to.

Kelsie
06-25-15, 11:25 am
I have to say that I also strictly follow the food chart from this forum. I'm so paranoid about what goes into their mouths. I'm only slightly more relaxed when it comes to giving my rats an occasional treat. Like ThePigAlchemist I just don't want to take any chance of something causing them a digestive upset.

pinky
06-25-15, 02:07 pm
I'm careful what I feed mine. I have a friend who'd offer cheerios and baked treats to her guinea pig. She only lived to around age 3. I've had good luck with mine living pretty long lives so I stick with what's considered healthy and safe for them.

mufasa
06-25-15, 02:11 pm
It's my husband's task to feed the girls, and thankfully he sticks to the chart. I don't want them having other items for health reasons and also because I don't want them to start refusing healthy food because they prefer something unhealthy. I'm glad he behaves with him; he's spoiled the dog with canned food only because he stopped eating dry mixed with canned. Smart dog learned he'd get something better if he didn't eat the dinner served to him.

lunarminx
06-25-15, 03:30 pm
It's my husband's task to feed the girls, and thankfully he sticks to the chart. I don't want them having other items for health reasons and also because I don't want them to start refusing healthy food because they prefer something unhealthy. I'm glad he behaves with him; he's spoiled the dog with canned food only because he stopped eating dry mixed with canned. Smart dog learned he'd get something better if he didn't eat the dinner served to him.

LOL...my dog will(would) only eat dry with wet catfood on top, that has stopped. We been buying Rachel Ray nutrish to add to his dry. He is tired of that, I also make homemade dogfood to add to his dry. I have made just chicken and broth to add to his dry. This dog hates dog food, all my fault, all kinds of left over meats went to him. We always ended up throwing them away any ways. Homemade left over gravy saved for his food. So many different things, if he eats the same beyond a week, he's done with it. tried to get him to eat just dry food like a normal dog, nope, he went 3 days with out eating, throwing up bile. He's spoiled until he dies now.

P.S. I just bought 5 packs of all natural Turkey Franks, no additives no nitrates, one hot dog chopped small for each meal, mixed in his dog food. The were on sale...lol

Amanda Marie
06-25-15, 06:10 pm
my guinea pig Rudy goes crazy for all human food. It doesn't help that he previous owner fed him hot dogs, bacon, cereal and god knows what else. if i have just eaten something and i hold him or he smells it in the air he lifts his head up and will run over. When holding him he tries to eat my mouth.... Its so weird and i swear if a cage mate died and had a bloody wound he would probably eat them... He is crazy. Its hilarious to see his reactions, but its so maddening to see this. Guineas are weird... so weird.. I am glad i'm not the only person who's pig does this.

Rywen
06-25-15, 11:23 pm
There was that time Ferb ate part of a Roy Rogers french fry he found between the sofa cushions. I had to wrestle that french fry away from him. Ferb always wants to taste what people are eating, but I only let him if it's a safe fruit or veggie.

Oreocookies123
06-26-15, 06:56 am
Guinea pigs are strict herbivores that are never, ever supposed to eat any kind of meat, or any food that contains protein. If your partner keeps giving your cavy, you should bring your pet to the vet (not a dog or cat vet) and have him looked at. Cavies should only eat vegetables, fortified Vitamin C pellets, and occasionally fruits once in a while (since cavies can't digest/process sugar well). Here's a list of the type of food cavies can eat:
VEGGIES
-Cilantro
-Romaine lettuce
-Baby carrots
-Tomatoes (remove toxic green stems)
-Celery
-Cucumbers
FRUITS
-Apples
-Oranges
-Seedless grapes
Hope this benefited you!:):)

Edited by bpatters: There's no need to take your pig to a vet just because it sampled some forbidden food. All you need to do is keep an eye on it to make sure it's still eating/pooping/drinking/peeing properly, and that it's not showing any signs of illness. Unless the pig really is ill, there's nothing the vet can do just because someone has given it a bite of something it shouldn't have.

That said, a steady diet of the wrong thing can upset the digestive tract of a guinea pig, causing bloat. And once a pig has an episode of bloat, it's more susceptible to it again. Bloat is a medical emergency, and many pigs don't survive it.