Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! - New here and new to Piggies

Frozen

Cavy Slave
Hi :) How is everyone? Well I hope.

I've been stalking the forums somewhat the past month, looking for information ect on getting some new Piggies, which I have now done - So I figured I should stop being a creeper and say hello. I have two female Guinea Pigs, which are now 10 weeks old (They were 8 weeks when I got them) - Named Ruby (The one with the brown bottom and half brown face) and Sapphire (also brown and white, but has more brown markings on her back) by my son.

Untiteeeeeeeled.jpg

I've never had Guinea Pigs before, so everything is a little new to me, I've had my Piggies for two weeks and we're still in the 'getting to know' you stage, where they're still slightly nervous and running off - I'm hoping very much to get them to love me! So far only Ruby will eat from my hand, and they occasionally let me stroke them, neither one of them like to be picked up, but Sapphire is more allowing of that than Ruby. Currently they seem to be happy and like me (I think!) when I wake in the morning and go in to the lounge they make wheeking noises (Or UFO noises as my son says) and popcorn around the front of the cage. I'll go sit by the cage and talk to them a little bit and give them some fresh water and grass from the garden (I've read this is OK - we don't have other animals so the grass isn't deficated) - they no longer jump when I make sudden movements near the cage, and will come to the front when it's open, but they'll run away if I put my hand in to them (They'll come to my hand if I leave it still). Whenever I come back in to the lounge or go near the cage they start wheeking and popcorning around, I'm hoping this is because they're excited and not because they're terrified of me :eek:hmy:.

After a few days of haying the Carefresh bedding, it drove me a little insane and seemed to constantly look messy, so I switched to fleece, which seems to be a lot easier to clean and they now tend to do most of their business in the toilet. I also got rid of the mixed food in the first day after reading that it's not very good for them, and stick now to their pellets, veggies and grass (Ofc the incredible amount of hay that they seem to inhale too)

dwdedffe.jpg

So I just thought I'd say hi! No doubt I'll be asking some silly noob questions around the forums as I don't want to do anything wrong and want both of my ladies to be happy and healthy - so any advice you can give will be very much appreciated.

mecole

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm new to the forum as well due to first time medical problems with one of my pigs, but I did want to say that your cage appears to be too small. Two guinea pigs need 7.5 sq ft minimum, not including any second floor space. Check out C&C cages! I got one after looking around on here, and my piggies are much happier for it.

Frozen

Cavy Slave
Hi :)

The pics make the cage look quite small, but it is rather big - I have been told on another page that it's too small for two guinea pigs, but it is actually a lot bigger than it looks it's 107.5 x 58 x 118 cm (L x W x H). I also have a run which is 300cm by 300cm that they go in to daily for most of the day/evening either in the house (if it's raining) or outside, when it's nice and I'm able to supervise, so they do get plenty of space to run around.

I have looked in to the C+C cages, but it's not something I'd be able to do as of yet.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If your pigs are young, you may be able to get by with that cage for a while. But it's not large enough for one pig, much less two.

Frozen

Cavy Slave
So what exactly is the ideal cage size then? Assuming that I don't have a spare room in my house as a G-Pig room, since that's what I'm beginning to feel like.

Going off the answer above that two guinea pigs should have a minimum of 7.5sq feet, then my cage is 10cms too small in width for two, but now it's not big enough for one?

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
See the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes. They're also recommended by the ASPCA and other organizations. Keep in mind that they're minimums, and bigger is always better, especially if you're talking about boars.

lissie

Cavy Slave
So what exactly is the ideal cage size then? Assuming that I don't have a spare room in my house as a G-Pig room, since that's what I'm beginning to feel like.

Going off the answer above that two guinea pigs should have a minimum of 7.5sq feet, then my cage is 10cms too small in width for two, but now it's not big enough for one?

A preferred size for two females is 10.5 sq.ft. A minimum size for one or two is 7.5 sq.ft. Since males are more territorial, a preferred size for two males is 12 sq.ft.

I don't have a spare room for the pigs either. I used to live in a 700 sq.ft apartment with 4 pigs with my husband and two kids, and we've managed to give the pigs a 18 sq.ft cage.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Can you squeeze the piggies in a high-traffic area like the kitchen or living room? I have my boars in the kitchen (a somewhat small one, given we live in a manufactured home) which actually ended up working out great. It's not as much of an eyesore as you might think (I actually think it looks quite nice) and, given the right set-up, it works out exceptionally well. It's also a great way to interact with them lots since you always end up having to go in there at some point or another.

You need a fair bit of space for a 2x5 cage (or anything with similar measurements) so be sure to measure any free areas to see which one is big enough. Remember that you can also build a cage in different shapes (e.g. an "L" shaped cage) so you don't have to have a huge, long cage taking up a bunch of space. (I'm thinking of doing the same, actually) That's the wonderful thing about C&C cages; they're pretty flexible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.