PDA

View Full Version : Not Eating Strange behavior from Colonel

barbaramudge
06-21-15, 11:48 pm
Let me start by saying this is not an ER at this point. Colonel is eating hay and pellets and drinking water just fine. Running around, popcorning, pooping and peeing. In other words, perfectly normal, except for one thing. For the last 3 days he hasn't been eating his veggies like he normally does. He use to eat them so fast and he always dug through the bowl to pull out the carrot to eat it first. Now there is still veg left when it's time for the next meal and then tonight he didn't even touch the carrot. I gave him some tomato and cucumber just to see if he would eat something different and he did eat that. It's just weird. I'm going to just keep an eye on him but wondered if this rings any bells for anyone. I would think if it was a tooth problem it would effect more than just his veggie consumption. It's just strange is all. Oh, and the lettuce is from several different heads so I don't think it's a problem of bad lettuce or anything like that. It's all fresh.

pinky
06-22-15, 03:12 am
Sometimes mine don't eat a certain vegetable if I feed it more than the others. I think they get tired of it and want something different. The fact that carrots are hard could indicate a tooth problem so I'd watch to make sure he's eating his pellets and that food isn't falling out of his mouth when he eats. My guess is, he just doesn't feel like eating the carrots and is filling up on something else he has an appetite for.

barbaramudge
06-22-15, 04:21 am
He isn't eating the lettuce well either. I did watch him eat his pellets and his very crunchy hay and there's no problem there. He normally demo's his bowl immediately leaving the green peppers because those are his least favorite but even those are usually gone within a half hour or so. He ate those before anything else yesterday. Like I said, it just seems strange. I'll be giving him a different variety for awhile to see if that's all he wants and of course I'll keep an eye on pellets and hay. But am I correct in thinking if he's eating pellets and hay well that it's not likely a tooth problem? Assuming that doesn't change is it safe to think he's just going through some preference change?

LoveMyPigs25
06-22-15, 06:58 am
How old is he?

poop_patrol
06-22-15, 11:52 am
Is he a lone pig who was recently separated from his partner? Could be that he never did care for those veggies and either the other pig was eating them all or Colonel was eating them only because he saw the other pig eating them. Just some random speculation.

spy9doc
06-22-15, 02:01 pm
But am I correct in thinking if he's eating pellets and hay well that it's not likely a tooth problem? Assuming that doesn't change is it safe to think he's just going through some preference change?

In my experience, that is absolutely correct. When Chester is having his teeth problems, he stops eating both pellets and hay. Their preferences actually DO change, just like ours do. They may have a favorite food over a time, and then it becomes something else. When that happens, Chester sits on the kitchen counter while I prepare veggies. He's offered one at a time until we hit on a winner......at least for that week.

lunarminx
06-22-15, 02:05 pm
Did you switch to regular carrots? I did this time and they do not like them, as they do baby carrots. I do wash them, I just do not peel them. Is it warmer in your house? If so, that may be why he isn't eating as much.

barbaramudge
06-22-15, 03:13 pm
He is 1.5 currently lone pig. I wouldn't be upset for carrots to stop being his favorite because I don't like him to have to much but I will be bummed if he's going to not want lettuce. It is warmer but not to warm. My living room stays about 72. I'll just keep an eye on him and take this opportunity to expose him to some more variety :)

lunarminx
06-22-15, 03:20 pm
He is 1.5 currently lone pig. I wouldn't be upset for carrots to stop being his favorite because I don't like him to have to much but I will be bummed if he's going to not want lettuce. It is warmer but not to warm. My living room stays about 72. I'll just keep an eye on him and take this opportunity to expose him to some more variety :)

Can I move in with you. We keep our air 77-78 during the day and 76 at night...lol. I guess that is why I have the ice packs on the piggies a lot.

barbaramudge
06-22-15, 03:23 pm
Lol sure! Our system is super efficient I think because we pay a lot less here in our "drafty old house" then we did in our new windowed house with the air at 78. It's not kicking on very often. Honestly though, we haven't had that many hot days here this year.