PDA

View Full Version : Rescues Found two adorable munchkins!

J.Bosley
06-20-15, 04:29 pm
Hi there!
A while ago I was supposed to be adopting a male skinny pig, unfortunately that fell through as the owner ended up keeping him. Kind of glad she did! Today at work in the garden centre a coworker for mine found these 2 adorable Guinea Pig babies!!! I have no clue how old they are, all I know is that they are albino and short coated.

They are currently set up in a dog kennel, with a cardboard border as we had an escapee, with fleece. An awesome pet store near my work gave me a water bottle, a handful of food and a small dish. Luckily I have Timothy hay from my rabbit.

Next step is to google genders and try and sex these little guys! Hoping they are the same gender and can stay together.

cavycrazy1107
06-20-15, 04:34 pm
They are adorable!! They are white american shorthairs and I can say from experience that american shorthairs and such sweethearts. I have one and he is so tame and so nice to his teddy pal, although he is dominant. Good luck with them and I hope you get a C and C cage for them. If they are boy and girl then just get one, or both, of them spayed/neutered (by a good exotic vet) and then they can live happily together.

J.Bosley
06-20-15, 04:45 pm
They are adorable!! They are white american shorthairs and I can say from experience that american shorthairs and such sweethearts. I have one and he is so tame and so nice to his teddy pal, although he is dominant. Good luck with them and I hope you get a C and C cage for them. If they are boy and girl then just get one, or both, of them spayed/neutered (by a good exotic vet) and then they can live happily together.

Thanks! So far they are super nervous, and the one that escaped was not too happy with me just having to grab him/her... Hoping they come around! Going to read up on taming babies, and try my best. I'll have to call my rabbit's vet and see the cost of fixing one or both of them. My hubby isn't too happy! Haha so no doubt he won't be thrilled about the cost of fixing one.

cavycrazy1107
06-20-15, 04:49 pm
Yeah, mine was a nervous wreck when I first got him, but now he lets me pet him while in the cage. Also, one youtube there's a video specifically for taming baby piggies and I love this youtuber, you should check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAGp7VYOKs8 . As for the husband, make him hold them and bond with them, he will get hooked just like you. Lol. :D

bpatters
06-20-15, 04:52 pm
See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm and http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-guinea-pigs.html.

J.Bosley
06-20-15, 04:59 pm
Thanks!!!

I have a lot lot of research to do on taming. The last piggy I had, i only have a short time before finding him a home with a friend. He was a rescued adult but so friendly!

hopefully the hubby comes around. His son and I want to keep them.

cavycrazy1107
06-21-15, 08:30 am
Good Luck! :D

mdodge
06-21-15, 08:42 am
Your piggies are adorable . remember it's not about trying to tame them it's about them learning to trust you.remember their prey animals and their natural reaction is to be very wary.

mdodge
06-21-15, 08:47 am
Also in keeping them please research diet and nutrition and proper housing for them as well .good luck with them .

J.Bosley
06-21-15, 09:02 am
Also in keeping them please research diet and nutrition and proper housing for them as well .good luck with them .

Thanks! Luckily I already know the diet and housing parts!

foggycreekcavy
06-21-15, 02:49 pm
Technically there are no albino guinea pigs. White ones with pink or red eyes are called PEW, for pink eyed white. Ones with black eyes are called DEW, or dark eyed white. If their ears, nose, and feet are darker, kind of smudged looking, then they could be poorly marked himis.

Whatever they are, they are adorable! I love their little uppy ears.

J.Bosley
06-21-15, 07:28 pm
Technically there are no albino guinea pigs. White ones with pink or red eyes are called PEW, for pink eyed white. Ones with black eyes are called DEW, or dark eyed white. If their ears, nose, and feet are darker, kind of smudged looking, then they could be poorly marked himis.

Whatever they are, they are adorable! I love their little uppy ears.

Thanks! I had no idea haha I just assumed albino due to the red eyes.

J.Bosley
06-22-15, 05:24 pm
Wahoo! I get to keep these little munchkins! Granted they are the same gender... I am going to attempt at sexing them in a bit. If they are not the same gender we will rehome one and get another the same gender as the one we will keep.

We named them Spook and Butters! Is it okay for them to just have hay and veggies until pay day?....

Amanda Marie
06-22-15, 07:10 pm
I think that if you feed them a good amount along with some bell peppers for vitamin C you may be ok. Some people i know barely feed pellets anymore. Though someone will probably come along and let you know. Can't wait to see more pics and see if both are staying!!! Good luck

sallyvh
06-22-15, 07:54 pm
They are definitely fine with unlimited hay and veggies. Make sure you offer a variety and at least 1 high calcium veggie though as they are babies.

You should sex them sooner rather than later. You have no idea how old they are and if you wait you could very easily end up with a pregnant pig if they are different genders.

J.Bosley
06-22-15, 07:58 pm
I think that if you feed them a good amount along with some bell peppers for vitamin C you may be ok. Some people i know barely feed pellets anymore. Though someone will probably come along and let you know. Can't wait to see more pics and see if both are staying!!! Good luck

Thanks!!! They loved the veggies I have them tonight. Carrot, carrot tops and some leaf lettuce.

J.Bosley
06-22-15, 08:00 pm
They are definitely fine with unlimited hay and veggies. Make sure you offer a variety and at least 1 high calcium veggie though as they are babies.

You should sex them sooner rather than later. You have no idea how old they are and if you wait you could very easily end up with a pregnant pig if they are different genders.

I will definitely Google come high in vitamin c veggies then! I get paid this work, and thought I'd put them on little martins food like my rabbit is, but obviously the guinea pig one. Is this a good food??

I sexed them! Definitely both boys. Going to have to try and learn their personalities so I can tell them apart haha. They weren't too happy with me that's for sure!

sallyvh
06-22-15, 08:13 pm
I will definitely Google come high in vitamin c veggies then! I get paid this work, and thought I'd put them on little martins food like my rabbit is, but obviously the guinea pig one. Is this a good food??

A great and inexpensive high calcium veggies is parsley and most pigs love it. They need an additional source of calcium until they are about 6 months old. The best way to give them Vitamin C is with bell peppers, green are the best as they are lowest in sugar but an occasional red/yellow/orange pepper is perfectly fine.

Honestly the Little Martins food isn't very good for guinea pigs. The original formula would be ok until they are 6 months but after that you don't want to feed an alfalfa based pellet. The adult Timothy formula's first ingredient is soybean hulls which is not good, you want Timothy hay to be the first ingredient. Also the calcium is 1% which I feel is much too high for adult pigs.

The best pellets you are going to find in stores are Oxbow. Once they are adults though you need to watch out for calcium deposits. Pellets and calcium can be quite troubling and cause bladder stones.

J.Bosley
06-22-15, 08:30 pm
Thank you sallyvh!

I did buy them a bell pepper and some curly parsley when I went grocery shopping today. I will make sure I give them some tomorrow night! And I will definitely look into the Oxbow food. I feed my rabbit Little Martin, that's why I was thinking of it. But I want them to have the best! So I'll check out Oxbow when I get paid this week. So far they are getting tons of hay and veggies.

J.Bosley
06-22-15, 08:36 pm
Here are a few photos from tonight!

Amanda Marie
06-22-15, 11:41 pm
Adorable.... I can't wait to see the cage when you decide on what to do... The one that's closer to the door looks bigger, that might help you tell them apart hahaha.

J.Bosley
06-23-15, 08:12 pm
Hopefully making a C & C cage this weekend! I found my left over grids from my rabbit's cage, just need coroplast and more fleece.

I will definitely post photos!

J.Bosley
06-27-15, 10:07 am
Making some progress with taming these two! They will now come out when I'm in the room. And one even took a piece of lettuce from me! Feel like I had a small set back when I had to clean the cage... As I had to catch them and put them in another spot to be able to clean them... Ugh. Hopefully they get friendlier!

J.Bosley
06-27-15, 10:20 am
Here are some photos!

Rywen
06-27-15, 11:33 am
Wow, someone just left them there? They are really adorable! One way to work on picking them up more easily is to catch them in a cuddle sack and then pick up the whole sack. Mine are now adults and trained to walk into the cuddle sack so I can pick them up without freaking them out. Some people also use a small box and cut a door in one end that they close when the piggie runs in and then they lift out the box. Thanks for taking those cuties in!

J.Bosley
06-27-15, 04:29 pm
Rywen yep! Assuming they were just dropped off... Poor little guys! I don't understand why someone would do that... But I am happy to have them. That's a fantastic idea! Once I have more funds (started a new job, was off in between the old and new job, boo!) my sister and I are gonna buy fleece and try making our own accessories. A cuddle sack is officially the first thing we will make! Haha thanks for the tip

bmt28
07-04-15, 04:49 pm
Most people find a stray cat or dog lol. A little lost GP? Who does that? I can't imagine thinking I'd abandon my helpless animals at a store! What a blessing that you found the twins! They are probably better off. Thank you for truly rescuing these sweet boys! Keep us all updated!

J.Bosley
07-04-15, 07:18 pm
bmt28 thanks! Lost/abandoned animals seem to find me.... Last year I found two domesticated rabbits in a field! They know I'm a sucker haha. I can't wait to build them a C&C cage and make some fleece items for them!