Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Pink bulge appeared on foot

suchla12

Cavy Slave
Hi, a pink bulge appeard on my guinea pig's back foot. It seems it doesn't hurt him, even if i touch it. Any idea what is it and how can i help him?
IMAG0148.jpgIMAG0149.jpg

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Does it feel warmer in that area then the rest of the foot, or in comparison to the other foot? If it does it could be the beginning of an infection and a vet visit may be needed, if not just keep an eye on it for any changes.

suchla12

Cavy Slave
it doesnt feel warmer. is there is something i can do right now? i mean should i use some ointment or something like that?

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
it doesnt feel warmer. is there is something i can do right now? i mean should i use some ointment or something like that?

You could gently wash it with some water & rub it daily with cold pressed virgin coconut oil which is anti-bacterial, anti-viral & anti-inflammatory as well as moisturizing. If it's an early stage of bumblefoot you may have excellent luck with epsom salt soaks. And as always, make sure the cage is kept clean, large enough & don't use any abrasive, non-absorbent or hard bedding.

https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

What kind of bedding do you use, and what size cage do you have?

Edited by bpatters: Be VERY VERY careful with epsom salts soaks -- they're usually the last thing we recommend for feet, and only if other treatments haven't worked. You have to be sure the pig doesn't drink any, and that the feet are very well rinsed and dried so the pig can't get the salts in its eye, or ingest salts when it's cleaning itself. I'd try the coconut oil first, or maybe a very dilute solution of chlorhexidine before I tried the epsom salts.

Last edited by a moderator:

suchla12

Cavy Slave
I have cage 80cm x 50cm and i use wooden pellets as a bedding (about 80% of cage) and i use wood shavings in part where is he sleeping (in shelter)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.