PDA

View Full Version : Behavior Please Help!

Scotchann
06-12-15, 07:41 pm
Hello,

I owned guinea pigs many years ago, when it was the norm to throw them in a wire cage and give them pellets and call it a day.

Within the past 6 months I adopted a hairless "wolf" strain Wheekers from a breeder. I thought he needed a friend, which I got. The friend Romeo came from an Amish auction (he is also "hairless" and a werewolf strain). He ended up with ringworm. He was the sweetest piggy. The "breeder" Wheekers was high strung and I was hoping to get the two male boars to bond but due to Romeo's ringworm I could not..

Flash forward a few months. After treatment with an exotic vet, Romeo is better. He HATES Wheekers. The dynamics have changed; the bigger healthier Wheekers gets beat up by Romeo.

I decided tonight to let them bond in a neutral huge place (my "kitchen"). Romeo beat up Wheekers badly. I had just put them down within many feet of one another and Wheekers invaded Romeo's pigloo and it was brutal. Wheekers is cut and scratched. I know I am doing something wrong but I need advice. Obviously these two will never be able to live together. I love them both dearly. I do appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Scotchann

bpatters
06-12-15, 07:47 pm
Well, for starters, you don't put down any hideys when you're doing introductions. You also never put anything in with them that smells like either pig. And when you do move them to a (LARGE) cage, it needs to have been thoroughly cleaned and smell nothing like any other pig.

Here's the best article on introductions I know: http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Scotchann
06-12-15, 08:00 pm
Thanks. I was doing "floor time" with them. Must have been my mistake to bring their own hidey holes along to make each one more comfortable in such a large room. I appreciate the link.

pigmommy89
06-12-15, 08:18 pm
If they don't live together in the cage, don't do floor time together. It will have the same result each time.

bpatters
06-12-15, 08:25 pm
Ditto pigmommy89. Meeting and separating pigs is stressful for them. They're wired to establish dominance order, and every time they're separated and put back together, they have to go through the whole dance all over again. Leave them totally separated until you're ready to start the introductions process.

Scotchann
06-13-15, 08:42 am
Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated.

Gunjan_Gupta
06-13-15, 10:35 pm
Hello,

I owned guinea pigs many years ago, when it was the norm to throw them in a wire cage and give them pellets and call it a day.

Within the past 6 months I adopted a hairless "wolf" strain Wheekers from a breeder. I thought he needed a friend, which I got. The friend Romeo came from an Amish auction (he is also "hairless" and a werewolf strain). He ended up with ringworm. He was the sweetest piggy. The "breeder" Wheekers was high strung and I was hoping to get the two male boars to bond but due to Romeo's ringworm I could not..

Flash forward a few months. After treatment with an exotic vet, Romeo is better. He HATES Wheekers. The dynamics have changed; the bigger healthier Wheekers gets beat up by Romeo.

I decided tonight to let them bond in a neutral huge place (my "kitchen"). Romeo beat up Wheekers badly. I had just put them down within many feet of one another and Wheekers invaded Romeo's pigloo and it was brutal. Wheekers is cut and scratched. I know I am doing something wrong but I need advice. Obviously these two will never be able to live together. I love them both dearly. I do appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Scotchann
Ya u brought 2 second after long time of my first guniea pig. My first guniea pig always bullying the second one. She eat first than let other eat.