PDA

View Full Version : Injury Guinea pig got bit by ants!

Lagertha
06-12-15, 03:07 pm
This past week my husband and I have been battling a horde of ants that got into our apartment in search of water. They were the little black ones (referred to as "piss ants" where we live because they are aggressive and stink like peppermint if you crush them!). We've mostly gotten rid of them and we are having pest control get rid of the nest outside in a few day, but they managed to find their way to my little Freya's birthing cage. They were all over the grids of the cage and swarming on her water bottle. I checked her over last night and she doesn't have any bites on her except one on her nostril. It's inflamed enough that her breath whistles through the nostril when she breathes :(

My question is: Can I do anything for her to decrease the inflammation? Or should I leave it be? (As a side note; she is very pregnant so I don't think I should give her any meds.)

Any insight and advice is very welcome and appreciated!

bpatters
06-12-15, 03:11 pm
I don't think I'd do anything for it as long as the other nostril is clear. But if she can't breathe through either of them, you may need oxygen in a nebulizing chamber. My guess is that wouldn't ordinarily be necessary, but since she's extremely pregnant, she probably can't breathe too well anyway because of the pups pushing on her lungs.

So watch her carefully, and if you notice any signs of respiratory distress, get her to a good exotic vet.

Lagertha
06-12-15, 03:16 pm
thank you bpatters!
I had her in my lap so I could listen closely and get a better look at it and she sounds like she is breathing okay, but the inflamed side looks like it hurts :( I've been bitten by these little devils several times and for something so small: these ants pack a punch. My hubby and I spent 2 hours squishing ever single ant on the cage (since we can't really spray the cage with chemicals).
I will definitely contact our vet if she starts having any issues!

Do you think she'll be okay if she ingested any? They were all over the spout to the bottle so I don't doubt she might have...

bpatters
06-12-15, 03:23 pm
She'll probably be ok.

Are you sure they aren't fire ants? If they bite you, does the bite site form a little pustule?

Lagertha
06-12-15, 03:30 pm
I'm sure! I examined a dead one and it was solid black and had a strong scent to it, almost like peppermint. They are piss/sugar ants, but they bite really hard. Their bites leave more of a red mark like someone pinched you really hard, but no pustule like a sting would give you.

lunarminx
06-12-15, 03:44 pm
The best stuff for ants.

https://www.google.com/search?q=terro+traps&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Lagertha
06-12-15, 09:25 pm
thank you lunarminx! We do have terro, but we live in an apartment complex so I can't put it near the ant hill (near our apartment on the complex grounds). We did put some out on the porch, but I hate having them swarm there :(

lunarminx
06-13-15, 07:25 am
thank you @lunarminx (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=27327)! We do have terro, but we live in an apartment complex so I can't put it near the ant hill (near our apartment on the complex grounds). We did put some out on the porch, but I hate having them swarm there :(

Put a funnel in the ant mound and pour boiling water down it. A safe no poison way to kill them. but as you also should know, they are in the walls now. I live in a 3rd floor apartment and fight them off and on starting spring til winter.

Lagertha
06-13-15, 12:05 pm
Put a funnel in the ant mound and pour boiling water down it. A safe no poison way to kill them. but as you also should know, they are in the walls now. I live in a 3rd floor apartment and fight them off and on starting spring til winter.

If I can find the hill I will! I was also told to mix powdered sugar and baking soda and leave it near the hill. the baking soda makes them explode.
Yeah we just killed a whole horde last night are they were coming out of our sink...

lunarminx
06-13-15, 02:40 pm
Mix some dawn in a spray bottle with water, the soapy water will kill the ones you spray. Also in an area where on pets or kids can get to, sprinkle a thick line of corn starch baby powder, they will die from walking in it. Its a kill the ones you see, bait some and cover the areas the come in at if you can find a trail.