PDA

View Full Version : General When to start cleaning a boar?

Popcorn321
06-02-15, 03:55 pm
okay, so my boar is now 2 months, and i don't think he's permanently gonna be with me, *fingers crossed he gets adopted to an amazing home soon*, but since he's getting older, I need to learn to care for him for the time being.

I learned that you have to do special cleanings on boars, including the ANAL SAC, GREASE GLAND, PENIS, and you have to check 'impaction'? Is there any other special care boars need?

Does anyone know what age i should start doing that, I'm ready to do it right away, I'm just afraid it's too early... If anyone has any personal experiences, tips, or extra info on boar cleanings, that would be very helpful as well!

bpatters
06-02-15, 04:24 pm
You don't have to do any of that until your boar needs it, if he ever does. Once he's a little older and starts scent marking, you should check his anal sac and penis sheath weekly to make sure he hasn't gotten any bedding up in it. But only clean IF he does. He does NOT need regular cleaning unless there's some ongoing problem.

Impaction happens when the muscles around a boar's anal sac become too weak to push the poop out, and it clogs things up. It usually happens only to older boars that have not been neutered.

There's a sticky in the medical section on cleaning boars, but it's WAY too early for you to have to worry about that.

cavycrazy1107
06-02-15, 05:04 pm
I have two males, both a year old. Every six weeks you should clean their anal sacs. It's really simple, all you need to do is take a Q-Tip and (gently and too far in) stick it in his bum. Wipe a few times and he should be good. I don't think there's anything else you need to worry about. Just the the weekly check ups on their eyes, ears, and nose. Good Luck and hope he finds a forever home!

Edited by bpatters: No, do NOT clean their anal sacs every six weeks. The current thinking by most vets now is that cleaning the sac too often will stretch the muscles, and will result in more problems with impaction in later life.

Depending on what the boar is bedded on, the sac may not need cleaning for years. Fleece that's kept clean will mean that there's almost nothing to get in the anal sac. If he's bedded on paper bedding and is flipping his sac open a lot, then he may need a gentle cleaning.

cavycrazy1107
06-02-15, 05:15 pm
bpatters Well, every time I clean my boars' anal sacs, the Q-Tip is filthy from hay, poo, and pellet remains. Plus, I probably do it less than that amount, but I'm 70% positive that's what the rescue lady said. If not then thank you for correcting me.

bpatters
06-02-15, 05:25 pm
Your rescue lady is wrong. Cleaning it often was the thinking for a very long time. And it may be, because of your boar's bedding, that he does need cleaning. But that's not the recommendation for all boars. They should be checked frequently, but only cleaned as needed, and then only very gently.

Popcorn321
06-02-15, 06:06 pm
You don't have to do any of that until your boar needs it, if he ever does. Once he's a little older and starts scent marking, you should check his anal sac and penis sheath weekly to make sure he hasn't gotten any bedding up in it. But only clean IF he does. He does NOT need regular cleaning unless there's some ongoing problem.

Impaction happens when the muscles around a boar's anal sac become too weak to push the poop out, and it clogs things up. It usually happens only to older boars that have not been neutered.

There's a sticky in the medical section on cleaning boars, but it's WAY too early for you to have to worry about that.

i use fleece so I don't think i'll have to much of an issue... How do I know if he's scent marking? How do I check his anal sack?

bpatters
06-02-15, 06:20 pm
This is the video on how to clean. It shows you how to open the sac.

You'll know when he's scent marking. Believe me, you'll know. It's called boar stank, or boarfume, and there's nothing quite like it.

cavycrazy1107
06-02-15, 06:33 pm
Ok I said 70% sure and if she did say so I bet she knew what she was talking about since she rescued and cared for the guinea pigs for her local vet and humane society. She has also been rescuing and caring for guinea pigs for more than 20 years.

Popcorn321
06-02-15, 07:18 pm
is there a link to the video you mentioned? bpatters

bpatters
06-02-15, 07:37 pm
Oops, forgot to post it. http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/85830-Awesome-video-on-how-to-clean-the-Anal-Sac