Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My new boy! - and QUESTION

HannahN

Cavy Slave
Meet Rodeo! I Just picked him up from his foster parents today! I am so excited. He is really sweet. He's been here for a couple of hours, and is still nervous from the car ride and the new surroundings I image. He is enjoying all his new hiding places, that's for sure. But I really love him and I'm so excited!:eek:
I will think about getting a friend for him in the near future. His foster mom said he did not get along with others when she tried to introduce him to her piggies.
Also- although he's only been here for some hours, I have noticed he is itching quite a lot. He likes to burrow in his hay, so maybe that is why? But should I be worried? I contacted a vet, and I'll see what they say as well.
IMG_3970-1.jpg

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He probably has mites, if he's itching a lot. The hay won't do it. But he sort of looks like a teddy? I can't quite tell from the picture. They're prone to dry skin which can make them itch.

Be sure you see an exotic vet. Dog and cat vets get little or no training the the care of exotics, and you'll just waste time and money by seeing one.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
Aw! He's adorable

HannahN

Cavy Slave
He is a teddy. Should I maybe give him a bath? Is there good shampoo for dry skin? The foster mom said she gave him about 2-3 months ago. Maybe he is due for another, when he gets acclimated to everything first. Also, the vet I contacted was actually recommended by the rescue that I got him from. I may look into a couple others.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The teddy owners I know swear by Gorgeous Guinea products. You have to order them from overseas, but they don't take too long for delivery.

Also, it's my understanding that bathing teddies frequently actually causes more itching and scratching. And most guinea pigs rarely need bathing -- they're very clean animals, and usually a butt bath occasionally will take care of any problems.

Someone on here has a teddy, and rubs something into the fur to control the dryness. @foggycreekcavy, is that you?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Yes, I rub a bit of cold pressed coconut oil onto a teddy's dry skin.

First, though, I'd treat for mites. I wouldn't bathe him.

HannahN

Cavy Slave
Would it be worth it to see a vet? Or can I treat him by myself?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can treat him yourself. The easiest stuff to use is .5% (that POINT is important) Durvet pour-on ivermectin (https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Pour--Cattle-250-mL/dp/B00JAL3AAW/ref=sr_1_3) or the 1% injectable (it's not injected, so don't worry about that -- (broken link removed), and it's more expensive).

The paste is much cheaper, but harder to dose, and there's more danger in giving them too much of it. I prefer the Durvet.

If you decide to do it, get the Ivermectin and post the label information here (how many mg. per ml) and how much your pig weighs, and we'll help you with the dosage.

HannahN

Cavy Slave
Great. Thank you so much for all the help. I have one more question. Is there symptoms besides itching when it comes to mites? I think it is most likely dry skin. Which I am still unsure how to treat...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Cold pressed virgin coconut oil is good for dry skin.

HannahN

Cavy Slave
Got it. One last question, do I feed it to him or do I massage it into his fur? Sorry, might be a dumb question

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rub it into his skin.

HannahN

Cavy Slave
bpatters. Thank you so much for all of your input. You really have helped me a lot!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.