Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mesh Grids a MUST Have!

CavyCrazyChris

Cavy Slave
I saw a lot of really AMAZING cages on here, the most amazing ones were made with mesh grids, rather than the common cube grids that most of us use.
My dilemma is that I wish to make a mesh-grid C&C cage (in the event I decide to stick to bedding rather than fleece)
However, there isn't a Linens 'N Things store in this city and from the looks of it, they don't carry mesh grids on their (broken link removed). What a drag...
Anyway, is there ANYWHERE else I could get them??? Like K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Payless, TacoBell... I'M DESPERATE!!!

Please help...

~Chris S.

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
I actually saw some on Ebay when I was looking for cube grids. Their was only 1 listing and it was in England. They were chrome, not black, white, etc. Pretty fancy:D

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
They come and go when they are on the website. If they aren't there now, check back in a week or two.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I got mine at Linen's N' Things. They had them in a variety of colors. Mine are black.

They do have a downside because you can't clip stuff or hang stuff from them like you can with regular grids. However they do hold shavings in nicely.

Amanda
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I was looking for the multi-colored grids, so I didn't buy the mesh ones, but I saw some in the organization section at Bed Bath and Beyond. I might go back and get some though. I'm getting a baby in a few weeks, and those would make it SO easy to baby-proof.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Anyone have any other ideas where to find these? Especially online since I highly doubt I'll find them here. Anyone have a brand name or company I can search for? Searches for things like mesh cube or mesh storage cube aren't getting me anywhere and I need to build a cage for a very very small critter.

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
aqh88 said:
Anyone have any other ideas where to find these? Especially online since I highly doubt I'll find them here. I need to build a cage for a very very small critter.
aqh: this is the best I could find for you. If it's a very small critter, this might work. A bit pricy though for a little critter cage.
https://cgi.ebay.com/Wire-Mesh-Storage-Box-w-Label-Insert-Trendy-Office_W0QQitemZ7538181610QQcategory%20Z3300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (https://cgi.ebay.com/Wire-Mesh-Storage-Box-w-Label-Insert-Trendy-Office_W0QQitemZ7538181610QQcategory Z3300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
That looks like it might be perfect if it was just a little bit wider. Maybe I should say a tiny hyperactive critter. lol I'm aiming for 2-3sq ft bottom level space. I found a list of online sources on the cubes and coroplast page and I'm going through them. So far (broken link removed) sells mesh cubes for $38. A bit expensive but compare it to petstore cages and I still come out ahead. Especially since the bars are too wide and my little roborovskis might escape.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
You are not going to be able to keep any hamsters in mesh grids. They have very large corner openings, which my friend's RC can easily walk through.

I am sure this can be solved by putting a wire mesh over the holes. You probably want to use wire to hold the grids together, because like chins, the hamsters will want to chew on the zip ties.

Pigaroo Mama

Cavy Slave
aqh88 said:
Especially since the bars are too wide and my little roborovskis might escape.
What is a roborvskis? Some kind of robot lizard or something. Ha.:D

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Roborovskii (Robos) are my favorite type of hamster... they are very, very tiny. Not a pet to handle often but a great pet to watch.

(broken link removed)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
You are not going to be able to keep any hamsters in mesh grids. They have very large corner openings, which my friend's winter white can easily walk through.
Really? My normal grids fit completely tight.
A roborovski is the smallest hamster at under 2". I've only seen babies so far and they are about like balls of fluff with a hyperactive disorder.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Here, I have included a picture of the corner holes in the mesh grids on my cage.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Would they chew through the aluminum mesh like you put on screen doors? I've got a bunch of that otherwise I may just make the whole cage out of hardware cloth.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I am not sure about the screen door material. I think it might be able to work if you were planning to use several layers on top of the mesh grid's holes.

If you find 1/2" x 1/2" harware cloth that may work as well.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Yea I was just going to place the aluminum over the holes in the grids. It would be easier to cut than hardware cloth and wouldn't have any sharp edges left behind. I looks like it's about half the thickness of the grid wire and the holes are extremely tiny. The smallest zip tie doesn't fit through them without some bending of the wires. Although I'm not sure if it's worth the risk cause even if I'm watching them and one escapes I still might not catch it. :p My campbells weren't this difficult to build cages for.

x0PiggyPerson0x

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if you said no Linens N' Things, but here is a very handy mesh storage box. You could just pop in something for the bin at the bottom, a lid, something to cover the handle holes and then tada! I think...

(broken link removed)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
LNT is currently out of stock on the mesh grids on the website. Keep checking back and I am sure they will have them again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.