Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Right size cage for 3 boars?

CobaltClover

Cavy Slave
I have been wondering if a 2x4 cage with a 2x5 loft is a sufficient size for 3 boars. I was going to go with a 2x6 Loft but liners are so expensive and it would take a long time to make one myself. Also, my 2 boars currently live in a 2x4 with each other and are fine together, except for the occasional dominance quarrel and they are 6-7 months old. I would like to get another boar when they are around a year old.
Thanks in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just so you know, adding a third boar to an established pair is a crap shoot. You may wind up with your original pair unbonded, or you could even get three singles, none of whom will live with the other. But if you're going to do it, the younger they all are the better, IMO.

I wouldn't do three boars in a 2x4 cage.

Why is the loft so much larger than the cage?

CobaltClover

Cavy Slave
Well the 2x4 is technically the basement and the 2x5 would be the main area, but if getting 1 more boar is risky then I guess I will just stay with 2.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Two's company, three's a crowd. One will always be a 3rd wheel.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I don't think a huge loft will make much of a difference; it's the overall floor space of the main level that counts. If you somehow manage to make it work between 3 boars, you'd probably need at least a 2x7 cage.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I have three boars. They were all bonded when I bought them from their previous owner tho. Thankfully even though I have a way too small cage they don't fight a whole lot. I guess it just depends on the guinea pigs. If I had 40 bucks to build them I new cage they would have a 3x6 at least!

busybusy

Cavy Slave
My 3 boars are currently in a 2 X 5 cage and are happy but once I get more room I would like to add a little 2x2 section for their kitchen so the 2x5 is dedicated play area. I also use fleece exclusively and I was able to make a liner with 3 pads in one afternoon.

That said I have to agree with the other posters that adding another pig can disrupt you established pair so if you find that having them all together you can always section of part of a larger cage so they can still interact without getting into scuffles.

CobaltClover

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone! I'm still considering a 3rd pig but my cage plans have changed. I Think I will put my current 2x4 next to a 2x5 so they have a 2x9 in total. That way, if they do fight I can section it into 3 2x3's or just a 2x4 and a 2x5 if my current pair still get along, which I'm pretty sure they will.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.