Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Third Wheel Piggy!

CheechNibsBuffy

Cavy Gazer
Hello Everyone!
I've been reading these forums for a while now, but I decided to make a post to see if you all could help me.
A little background: My first two pigs were a mother/daughter bonded pair (Cheech and Nibbler) that I adopted from a home that couldn't take care of them anymore. They're both three, almost four years old. I just recently brought in a 3 month old little girl (Buffy) who bonded to her big sisters almost immediately.
The problem now is that Cheech and Buffy have become really close and Buffy will not leave her side. They hang out in their cave together on the second level of their cage as much as they can. We have one two-piggy hut and one that's really meant for one pig (although Cheech and Buffy will occasionally squeeze in there together). Sometimes nibbler will go sleep in the one piggy hut, but most mornings, I wake up and she's just laying outside of the hut where her sisters are. Either way, if it were me, i would be so lonely! She doesn't really seem sad, but I can't imagine it's not a little bit sad for her.
Also, we recently had a problem with Buffy barbering Nibbler. She tried to do it to both older girls, but Cheech wouldn't let her. Luckily, we fixed the problem by moving the cave away from the food bowl, where Buffy would hide and barber while Nibbler ate.
What i would like to know is this: am i over personifying their feelings? Do y'all think that Nibbler could be feeling left out? And if so, what should I do about it?
Thank you so much for your help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take the huts out and drape fleece over the corners of the cage, or put in fleece forests, or put in big hideys that have two doors -- plenty of room for everybody.

Some pigs just barber. I don't know of anything you can do about, except keep the hair cut short on the barbered pig.

And yes, you're over-thinking this. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.