Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Weird Nail Like Thing On Front Feet

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
So I have two precious cavies. One of them, Alfie, has some weird nail looking thing on both sides of his front feet. I don't recall how long he's had them, but definitely over a few months. I don't think they hurt him but they bug me and I don't like them. What are they? Should I bring him into a vet? He's about a year old.
One side:
IMG_0469.jpgIMG_0470.jpgIMG_0471.jpg
Other side:
IMG_0472.jpgIMG_0475.jpg(the little nub and the weirdly colored part)

gpigsrock

Cavy Slave
It sort of looks like just a hard little piece of skin. I had a guinea pig a few years back who had a growth like that, and I think it may be a spur. You can read more here, at guinea lynx, but I would take your piggy to the vet, just to be safe. Maybe they might have a suggestion for a different type of litter, or remove the growths altogether? Even if they're not hurting your piggy, it would still be good to know for sure if something could be done about it. Hope this helps! :)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It's a spur. https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

It's nothing to be concerned about, but you will need to trim it back whenever you clip his nails to prevent it getting caught on anything and tearing off.

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
This does help thank you! I'll schedule an appointment when I can. Thanks again!

guineaboo

Cavy Slave
Alrighty, thank you! I appreciate it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It might be a spur (see https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs), but it doesn't really look like it to me. It almost looks like an extra toenail, but the pictures are a little fuzzy.

It's not an emergency and doesn't require a quick vet visit, unless it's red/hot/swollen/painful, but the next time you're at the vet, you could have it checked out.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
This does help thank you! I'll schedule an appointment when I can. Thanks again!

It absolutely does not need a vet visit just for this. There is no connection that anyone is aware of between the growth of spurs and any type of bedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.