PDA

View Full Version : underpad for fleece cage

Guinea Pig Papa
05-12-15, 02:56 pm
A couple of years ago, I built my boys a 2 x 4 grid C&C cage, and a run around pen thats another 4 x 4 grids in addition to the 2 x 4 living space. I've been using towels, training pads and fleece for bedding in their cage area but I've recently gotten it into my head that they would love a "squishier" for lack of a better term, bedding under the fleece. I bring them onto my bed with a feather duvet and they absolutely LOVE walking around on it and hiding in it. They never poop or pee on it and they just flake out when I bring them in. I kind of want to use a 1" thick foam mattress topper underneath the fleece and training pads, but the foam rubber scares me. Anyone have any better ideas? My pigs are my babies and the thought of anything happening to them absolutely rips my guts out so safe alternatives are what I'm looking for, please!

LifeAsItMayBe
05-12-15, 03:07 pm
I don't have a clue, but maybe you could encase the foam in fleece to keep your pigs from trying to eat it?

bpatters
05-12-15, 03:30 pm
You surely need it protected so they can't eat it. But we've had many a poster on here who has tried foam in some iteration of another, and most have been very unhappy because it stinks like crazy if they pee on it.

Guinea Pig Papa
05-12-15, 04:04 pm
You surely need it protected so they can't eat it. But we've had many a poster on here who has tried foam in some iteration of another, and most have been very unhappy because it stinks like crazy if they pee on it.

Exactly! I want them to have something comfortable for them to sleep on, as they LOVE the duvet. I don't want to use foam but not sure what else I can use as an alternative. It will have training pads on top of it and then fleece wrapped around it. At least, that's what I'm contemplating but would love to hear better ideas!

spy9doc
05-12-15, 04:31 pm
The better idea is to not use foam at all for the reasons bpatters suggests.

Guinea Pig Papa
05-12-15, 05:56 pm
The better idea is to not use foam at all for the reasons bpatters suggests. Hence, the reason I'm asking for better ideas. Anyone have good experiences with other materials?

lissie
05-12-15, 06:19 pm
What if you put polyester batting under the absorbent layer? That would make it softer.
For example (top to bottom, all sewn together):
Fleece
Uhaul pads, or towels, or cotton batting (or whatever else you use under your fleece)
Extra loft polyester batting
Cotton sheet or fleece (just to keep the batting in place)

Guinea Pig Papa
05-13-15, 08:09 am
That actually sounds like a great place to start, lissie! It sounds like something they would absolutely love lounging around on! And the polyester batting would be washable, whereas foam would not.

miniver
05-13-15, 10:00 am
I use batting in the pee pads (fleece-batting-fleece) and it works great for me. It lasts as long as towels, which is two days for me. You can use batting to make them piggy-futons. My girls use very floppy cuddle cups that have batting as body pillows. My goodness, they just flop down on top of them and looks sooooo comfortable that I want to join them!

SquigglyPigs
05-14-15, 09:17 am
I make homemade cuddle cups and use this stuff called volume fleece to make it extra cozy. I buy the volume fleece at Joann Fabrics. Theres lots of YouTube videos of how to make cuddle cups and even if you don't have a sewing machine, they're easy to sew by hand. My pigs love them.

Guinea Pig Papa
05-14-15, 09:43 am
Oh, I have access to a sewing machine, all right, Allison! Now ask if I know how to use it lol! Another great idea for me to try. Thank u very much!

mamaduck71
05-14-15, 12:22 pm
How about those foam dish drying pads, I see them at Dollar General for about $4.00 each. Maybe get a couple and see if they work. Kinda like this but not as pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/The-OriginalTM-Microfiber-Absorbent-Multipurpose/dp/B004M0P34M