Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

underpad for fleece cage

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A couple of years ago, I built my boys a 2 x 4 grid C&C cage, and a run around pen thats another 4 x 4 grids in addition to the 2 x 4 living space. I've been using towels, training pads and fleece for bedding in their cage area but I've recently gotten it into my head that they would love a "squishier" for lack of a better term, bedding under the fleece. I bring them onto my bed with a feather duvet and they absolutely LOVE walking around on it and hiding in it. They never poop or pee on it and they just flake out when I bring them in. I kind of want to use a 1" thick foam mattress topper underneath the fleece and training pads, but the foam rubber scares me. Anyone have any better ideas? My pigs are my babies and the thought of anything happening to them absolutely rips my guts out so safe alternatives are what I'm looking for, please!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You surely need it protected so they can't eat it. But we've had many a poster on here who has tried foam in some iteration of another, and most have been very unhappy because it stinks like crazy if they pee on it.

Exactly! I want them to have something comfortable for them to sleep on, as they LOVE the duvet. I don't want to use foam but not sure what else I can use as an alternative. It will have training pads on top of it and then fleece wrapped around it. At least, that's what I'm contemplating but would love to hear better ideas!

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The better idea is to not use foam at all for the reasons bpatters suggests.
Hence, the reason I'm asking for better ideas. Anyone have good experiences with other materials?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That actually sounds like a great place to start, lissie! It sounds like something they would absolutely love lounging around on! And the polyester batting would be washable, whereas foam would not.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Oh, I have access to a sewing machine, all right, Allison! Now ask if I know how to use it lol! Another great idea for me to try. Thank u very much!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.