Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Loft - Yay or Nay?

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
So, I've finally figured out the final measurements for our future guinea pig cage. The most we have room for is exactly 2x4.5, which should be perfect for a pair of piggies.

Problem is, I'm not sure whether or not we should get a loft. On the one hand, it would make a nice kitchen area, plus I planned on setting up a bunk bed and fleece forest underneath the loft area, which will make a very cosy hide-y space. I'm just wondering if the ramp will end up taking too much floor space?

This is a (poorly drawn) sketch that I made to send to the person who will be making the cage. The ramp will likely extend near the end of the cage (since I don't want it to be too steep), which would take up at least 1/3 or so of the back grids.

1zf1qn8.png

Will the piggies (who will likely be a pair of boars) still have enough floor space even with the ramp? Or would it be better to forgo the loft area and just have a plain 2x4.5 cage?

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
How about this? I have put the ramp away from the edge a bit so that your piggies can run laps around it:
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 4.20.05 pm.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 4.20.17 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 4.20.25 pm.png

I also added a bunk bed under the loft, but you should probably put it at the other end of the cage if you decide to make a bunk bed as well as a forest, because it will be really difficult to retrieve your piggies from under the bed if it is under the loft.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How about this? I have put the ramp away from the edge a bit so that your piggies can run laps around it:
View attachment 73981
View attachment 73982
View attachment 73983

I also added a bunk bed under the loft, but you should probably put it at the other end of the cage if you decide to make a bunk bed as well as a forest, because it will be really difficult to retrieve your piggies from under the bed if it is under the loft.
She'll need some sort of support under the loft to hold it up or the whole thing will sag.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Yes sorry I forgot to add that!! Thanks [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]!
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 7.36.00 pm.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
Yes sorry I forgot to add that!! Thanks [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]!
View attachment 73984
You also need support where the loft extends out where the ramp comes down. There's nothing holding that up in the middle so it would be the most vulnerable section. By putting a grid there, you're losing running space. Some sort of I-beam or post might be better.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Better?:
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 7.41.31 pm.jpg
Thanks for pointing these problems out [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]!! :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
Better?:
View attachment 73985
Thanks for pointing these problems out [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]!! :D

If you have a grid resting in the cage, the urine will cause it to rust out. It will also be kind of hard to maneuver fleece under it. A heavier, vertical post might be better or a horizontal I-beam across the width, under the edge of where the ramp is. I think it would be better to just make the loft a 2x4 so there would be more space up there. Instead of attaching the loft to the cage, allow it to rest on I-beams so it can be lifted out for cage cleaning.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I'm a guy, actually. :p But thank you very much for the design help! I love the ramp position.

And I actually planned on having the bunk bed be on 1 grid long, like this (taken from the gallery):

IMG_1220.JPG

it would be under the middle portion of the loft, with the fleece forest being on the left side. The right/front portion I'd leave empty so it doesn't fell too crowded under there.

jaymem04

Cavy Slave
I think cleaning will be your biggest con, but if you're okay with it, I say go for it.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I don't mind any extra work having a loft might entail. I just want to be sure my piggies have the best possible set-up using the options at hand.

lissie

Cavy Slave
For some boars, narrow space like lofts and ramps can cause them to fight. You might be better off with one level. You can try it, and see if they are okay with it. If not, then you can remove the loft.

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
I heard that each piggy has to have one square of loft or of fleece forest. It was certainly true for my two girls - I put them in, when just one square had fleece forest (and I was cutting next one), and they kept bickering in the forest...I had to rush up and finish, now they are fine. They really could fit in one square, but somehow they like to have more space.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
Quick question - what loft space would be adequate for boars? (more specifically, 2 of them) I'd really love to add a loft at some point to be used as a kitchen area so my boys could have more plain floor space. The loft I'm thinking of adding would be 2x2.

Edit: here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. (taken from the guineapigcages website. Hope it is alright that I used it.) I'm going to expand my cage as soon as I have the room, but for now, would a 2x2 loft on a 2x5 cage be enough space for my boars?

POSSIBLE 2x5 w 2x2 LOFT IDEA.png

@Easefirst - Hm.. do you would that affect my bunk bed plans as well? I figured that since it would be split in half (one half for each of them) it would be enough. I will definitely take note of that for my fleece forest, especially if I get a loft area. 2 squares of forest would probably be tons of extra fun even if they didn't need the extra space per piggy.

Last edited:

pinky

Cavy Slave
This plan looks like a better solution. A 2x2 loft is better for 2 guinea pigs and a 2x5 base is also good. Both of my pairs are in single level 2x5 cages. Notice that the person who built the loft added two I-beams under the loft to support it. You can still add your bunk bed. The only thing I'd do differently is to have coroplast extended up to the opening for the ramp and on the sides of the ramp so they don't jump down.

Nazgul

Cavy Slave
I'm replying to this a bit late, so sorry about that. I just came to say thank you and that the person building our cage will definitely be making sure the loft area is nice and secure.

I have my eye on a lovely senior pair and since I know ramps and seniors don't always mix too well together, I'm going to make sure the cage is set up in such a way that we can remove the loft and add it onto the base of the cage (expanding it to a very roomy L-shaped 2x7) in case we encounter any issues. We'll have to shuffle some things around so it won't be ideal, but either way, we'll make it work!

Easefirst

Cavy Slave
I don't have any experience with bunk beds. I might try them too. Now you inspired me to go for larger loft too. Just waiting for supplies to come.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.