Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Trying to decide on a temporary cage, need advice on bedding! (also allergy issues)

Mcfluff

Cavy Gazer
Hello! My partner and I are going to be moving cross country at the end of the month (CA -> NJ) and I'm bringing 2 of my guinea pigs (males) with me (I'll be flying with them in the cabin).
So! We'll be staying with my parents in my old bedroom and my guinea pigs will be staying in the bedroom with us. My boyfriend has a slight allergy to the pigs as it is, so I'm trying to figure out the best solution (Already going to have 2+ HEPA filters).
I need to order a temporary cage soon since I'll be getting there a week before my bf. Room is not TOO big so I've been thinking about the midwest standard cage, thats even pushing it alittle but they need their space. I've been reading about it some and I've read how the canvas isn't the best. But it would only be for a few months anyway so maybe it would be alright?
My next question: what type of bedding!
I've looked into cage liners and they seem great! But it's an apartment and we would only be getting to the laundromat every 2 weeks or so. So then would I have to get 2 cage liners, switch one out after a week, and then clean both? Or would it be easier to just continue with the bedding route for a couple months even with that canvas liner it comes with? Paying for the moving truck/plane tickets/new animal supplies is expensive as is, and getting mutiple liners may be pushing it if quality ones are $40+ each. And at the end, is either way better for allergies? I currently give them oxbow orchard grass but I want to try the KH bluegrass and see if that would help the allergy any. I was thinking about doing half fleece, half litter pan for bedding so I could just dump it every other day or something. I've never been able to use fleece as a bedding before so I'm little clueless. I'm not sure how often they need to be changed out and not having laundromat access makes it seem more complicated. But I love the idea of fleece.
I was just curious if anyone has noticed an allergy difference on bedding vs. fleece. Also to clarify on bedding, Ive been using a crumbled paper bedding lately, sometimes care fresh, and have used aspen in the past (my bf had the worst allergy attacks when I had the aspen it seemed so I stopped using it).
Thankyou for any and all advice! Much appreciated!

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
I don't have much advice for you, just some insight on the laundromat factor.
When my boyfriend used to change the cage, he'd forget about the dirty bedding.... for up to two weeks at a time. Now, maybe HOW it's stored in the meantime makes a difference, but once bagged and once in a ventilated basket, his forgetfulness led to huge, nasty stalks of mold growing all over my favorite (go figure) sheets of fleece. >_> Of course, it was when they stopped carrying that design. I still hold a grudge. :p

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece doesn't work well in small cages, especially with multiple pigs. I'd go with some sort of disposable bedding.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.