Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Best Paper Bedding Brand?

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
In my c&c cage, I have a kitchen area that I use newspaper and paper bedding that is cleaned every 1-2 days. I used Care-Fresh before I moved on to Fleece but when I re-did the cage with the upgrade I grabbed a few bags of plain Katee bedding but I feel that it doesn't "hold" the pee at all and it just goes straight down to the newspaper.

Does anyone have a better paper bedding suggestion for me? c:
Thanks.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I don't know if anyone suggested this before, but for my absorbent layer I use wood pellets under my fleece. I think it works better than anything else. I don't smell the urine (and I have 6 sows), I only have to change the wood pellets every 8 weeks. One bag of 40lb wood pellet is about $5.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
I don't know if anyone suggested this before, but for my absorbent layer I use wood pellets under my fleece. I think it works better than anything else. I don't smell the urine (and I have 6 sows), I only have to change the wood pellets every 8 weeks. One bag of 40lb wood pellet is about $5.

Thank you, but I don't have fleece in the kitchen area. c:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
You could try Yesterdays news or Fresh news cat litter (or any equivalent product). They are recycled paper pellets, I use yesterdays news in my kitchens and it works great. It's very absorbent and has good odor control.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I love Fresh News for Cats. It's cheaper than the one for small pets but is the same thing in a slightly larger pelleted form. The nicest thing is, you can tell if there are dry pellets so you can reuse a lot of it when you clean the cage. I use it in about half of my cages and fleece in the other half. It's the best bedding solution I've found so far.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I just use recycled paper pellets, like @sallyvh, probably an equivalent to Fresh News, and they are very absorbent.

I tried these recycled hemp pellet things, but they crumbled when wet, and smelled quite strongly, not of pee, but of the hemp. It is now used in my sister’s mice’s cage (not sure about possessive plural form for mouse), as they don’t have their nose in it as much as my piggies do, as they sit up in houses up the walls of their cage, and it disguises the smell of their pee (which is quite strong).

Chayna Renee

Cavy Slave

CutsieCavies

Cavy Slave
I liked kaytee as well before i switched to fleece. I have heard that carefresh worked nicely as well. There are also some diys on youtube as well you can check out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.