PDA

View Full Version : Hiya, I am new here

JokerJill
04-22-15, 12:06 am
7370173702Hello everyone, I am Jillian and this little guy is Darwin. He loves strawberries and being brushed. I found him in the pet store and he had been there for eight months. I went their for a rat and all of them were not friendly, so when we saw him all alone I just had to hold him. He just cuddled into me instantly and boom took him home. As well as the things the store said was required. Yet, when I got home I did tons of research on them and found out most of the stuff is harmful and I threw it away. His new cake will be here soon and I am looking for nice shampoos, as well as looking for a friend and saving up for an extension for the cage so I can keep them separate for a bit before I introduce them.. But, this little boy is going to get spoiled beyond all reason.

CavyMama
04-22-15, 12:20 am
Forget the shampoos. Guinea pigs do not need to be bathed, unless they get particularly dirty. Most of the time, they do just fine grooming themselves.

Is that the cage you got up there on the desk next to your bed? it's not large enough - particularly for two. I would wait on getting a second pig until you have a cage that is large enough to comfortably house two pigs. Males in particular need more space. Also, is that a salt lick/mineral wheel on the side of the cage? Ditch that too. Not healthy for guinea pigs.

Try petfinder to find your pig a buddy to adopt. Petstores get their stock from breeding mills which keep the females overbred and in horrible conditions.

JokerJill
04-22-15, 12:35 am
I know it is too small I don't think you read all of what I said. He is getting a new cage which is coming in the mail and then I will get the extension WHEN I get a second cage. The thing on the side of the cage is ribbon to keep his water bottle in place. The cage is 9 square feet plus a same size extension cage for WHEN I get the new guy. Also, he gets VERY dirty and doesn't clean very well. Anyway, I am going to use fleece in his new cage and litter by the kitchen.

lissie
04-22-15, 12:39 am
Welcome to GPC!

Since he's a long-haired pig, you will have to trim his hair to keep his bottom clean.
Gorgeous Guineas shampoos are highly recommended by many people. They are in UK, but will ship them.
http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/shampoos.html

See also this page (there are some shampoo recommendations on the page)
http://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#bathing

JokerJill
04-22-15, 12:55 am
Are their tutorials on how to trim his fur?

Piggly12
04-22-15, 04:39 am
Hi and Welcome!

Yes, there should be tutorials on trimming fur on this forum, if not (which I highly doubt :)) there are sure to be some on the net, or youtube.

piggielover200
04-22-15, 07:16 am
Welcome you seem to have everything figured out! If you have anymore questions we can help! I hope you like it here!

80s_piggies
04-22-15, 09:21 am
Welcome to you and Darwin. The great thing about this forum is I have yet to have a question I didn't find an answer to...in like 42 different places LOL. And even when you don't have questions you can still learn something new. I'm glad to hear you didn't assume everything from the store was right and did your research and found the forum. Good luck to you and Darwin. I'm sure you are looking forward to that new cage coming!

CavyMama
04-22-15, 01:39 pm
I know it is too small I don't think you read all of what I said. He is getting a new cage which is coming in the mail and then I will get the extension WHEN I get a second cage. The thing on the side of the cage is ribbon to keep his water bottle in place. The cage is 9 square feet plus a same size extension cage for WHEN I get the new guy. Also, he gets VERY dirty and doesn't clean very well. Anyway, I am going to use fleece in his new cage and litter by the kitchen.

Ah! My apologies. I didn't see that part of your post. Yes Gorgeous Guineas as lissie suggested is a good one to look for. In general pigs won't need to be bathed often (maybe once ever 2-3 months). With a long-haired pig, it might be more often - depending on how dirty they do get. Loose bedding, urine, pellet dust, even poos can get stuck in fur.

ciaraelise
04-22-15, 03:13 pm
Welcome welcome!! Darwin I'd so handsome :)

3littlepigz
04-22-15, 07:37 pm
Welcome! Darwin is beautiful and sounds like he is very lucky to have found a parent that will do the best to take care of him! That's wonderful!! Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here as well and have learned so much already. It's a great place to interact and get fabulous information.