Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Neglected piggies and bunny

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Just so you know, this is a story about a seriously neglected rabbit - the picture of appallingly overgrown teeth may be upsetting to some people.
(broken link removed)

I am so tempted to move back to Berkshire to adopt those poor piggies mentioned. It's more about the rabbit in that article, but if I lived nearer I would so adopt the poor pigs involved. I can't believe the ex-owners didn't bother trying to take care of the animals.

It disgusts me.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I got an email from Lorna, the rescue manager. Wally the rabbit is doing well, he is much more comfortable now. He had his teeth burred and his butt shaved, so he is much much better but still in need of serious TLC. I've emailed her back and asked her what sort of state the piggies are in. I dread to imagine.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad to hear that Wally is doing better. I'm sure he still has quite a way to go toward full recovery though. Please keep us updated if you hear back about the guinea pigs. Have you heard anything about the chinchilla also mentioned in the article?

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I'll definitely let you know how the guineas are doing when I get an email back.

I haven't heard anything about the chinchilla, but I'm sure with the RSPCA involved it won't be staying with the owners much longer. I'll certainly keep a look out for word on the poor thing.

Funnygpigs

Cavy Slave
Omg! That is horrable. How can people be so cruel to poor helpless creatures. I just dont get some peoples lack of empathy! I am glad that they did get turned in, and are being cared for. What is really sad, is that there are tons of animals out there that are living worse then that right now as we speak! We need tuffer animal welfare/rights laws!!!

C&K

Cavy Slave
I just saw the picture of the poor bun, just how terrible is that? It is enough to break your heart. How can anyone let something like that happen?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hope the reporter got it wrong. The pigs have severe cases of mites, NOT fungal infections.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
CavySpirit said:
The pigs have severe cases of mites, NOT fungal infections.
So do severe mites cause hard flaky skin? I'm just wondering because there are treatments for fungal infections in UK - I don't know if the British call it something different to other countries, but it seems to be a separate thing over here.

Actually I just found this:
https://guinealynx.info/fungus.html
This is what the pigs have.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Mites do cause itchy flaky skin as well, so it is essential that they are treated for them. See this page as well (broken link removed). There is a high chance that it could be both.

iLoveDusty

Cavy Slave
That's horrible!!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I haven't heard anything about the piggies rescued, but Wally had emergency treatment immediately - had his butt shaved and his teeth burred - and he looks ever so handsome now. The most beautiful little face.

I'll keep an eye out to see if anything comes up about the piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.