Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Messy Loft

baby28

Cavy Gazer
We adopted 3 males that are 2.5 months old and they have been living in a C&C cage for about 3 weeks now. They are spending about 49% of their time in the loft and 49% of their time in the kitchen under the loft. In the kitchen we are using disposable bedding and in the loft we are using a fleece flipper. Even vacuuming the loft twice a day we are finding piles and piles of poo up there. I feel like I need to change the fleece ever other day. I tried disposable bedding in the loft but it made a huge mess and was a pain to clean.

I took the ramp away tonight hoping it will force them to explore the other half of the cage they aren't using. We have a chew stick and water on the other end to encourage them to go down there, but after a week they still aren't interested. Any suggestions on what to do to encourage them to use the rest of their cage? I'm also open for suggestions on what to do with the loft. It is the 1x2 loft.

Thanks!

Here's our babies. :) Yes, 2 have girl names despite all being male. One was named by a 5 year old and the other a 4 year old. Mama's is Gandalf. :)

Messy Loft

What cuties! :D The girl names totally fit them anyway. Maybe you should try putting a fleece forest or a grid with a piece of similarly cut fleece hanging over it on the other end? I'm not sure if you have any hideys over there, but I know my pigs love to be under ribbon-cut fleece like the "forests" are made of.

I'll give it a try. Thanks!

You might want to make a larger loft since there are two guinea pigs up there. Making a tray that fits into the loft makes cleaning easier. I use Fresh News for Cats in half and fleece in the other half of my cages. Fresh News is a pelleted paper that's the most absorbent bedding I've used. I can reuse some of it when I clean cages. They also sell Fresh News for small pets but the cat one is more absorbent and cheaper.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.