Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Millie has cuts on her back paws

Dervly

Cavy Slave
So I noticed yesterday afternoon that my guinea pig, Millie, has cuts on her back paws. Her sister, Mollie, is fine. They are both approx a year old.

Normally they both have fleece bedding, but 5 weeks ago I broke a few bones in my foot and had to move home. The girls came with me and are, unfortunately, now in a smaller 2x3 cage (normally they have a 2x4 with a 1x2 loft). As I was initially unable to change the cage myself, they have been bedded on newspapers alone. I have had them out for a bit most days, and only just noticed the cuts. Since I am more mobile now, I have changed them back to a fleece bedding to see if that helped.

Yesterday I washed Millie's feet carefully and put Fucidin cream on them, which is an antibacterial cream. They look better this morning but I am still concerned. My last guinea pig, Trudy, who died 2 years ago aged 5 years, had cuts similar to these on her feet before she died. I will take her to the vet if need be, but at the moment I can't drive and my parents aren't keen on taking me, so it will be next week at the earliest that I can go. I have attached photos of the cuts yesterday and today.

Attachments

20150415_185539.jpg 20150415_185546.jpg 20150416_110417.jpg 20150416_110423.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
That's the start of bumblefoot which can be really serious. You need to keep her on clean bedding so those sores heal up. I'dsoak them in a diluted solution of chlohexedine that's a light blue color when you add water to it. Soak them for about 10 minutes at a time. The easiest way to do it might be to use a ceramic food dish and add warm water and then the chlorhexedine. Stand her up on all fours so her back feet sit in the dish. Hold her so she doesn't get away. You can apply the antibiotic cream after soaking them but make sure she doesn't lick it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Silvadene cream is safer than antibiotic cream.

Also, if you've just got the bedding over a wire cage bottom, that will contribute to the problems. You need to put something solid underneath it so their feet aren't on the wire.

Dervly

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks. She wasnt particularly keen on the soaking but we managed. Whats Silvadene cream? Ill get my mum to try the pharmacy near her for it.

Just wondering if its contagious? Should I separate my girls?

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
Bumblefoot (if that's what this is) is not contagious. It's inflammation of the foot caused by improper bedding or floor material.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
What is her cage?

Dervly

Cavy Slave
As I said they're not in their normal c&c/chloroplast cage, but are in a 2x3 cage that has a plastic base. While I was imobolised, this was covered in Newspaper but I have now put some softer bedding fleece down.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
oh sorry! I was wondering because this looks really similar to urine scalding. That is what my rabbits had when I went away and my mom did not clean their boxes enough. That would make sense if they were on newspaper

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.