Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Weak "Crying" What could it be???

simplyypiggies

Cavy Slave
Hey guys so as some of you may know I just recently adopted a pair of female guinea pigs. Well one of my girls Roxy shes an Abyssinian has been making a weird kind of "cry" noise since yesterday.
It was sometime in the afternoon and I heard a faint cry so I looked over at the girls cage and saw Blossom (bonded female) sitting next to Roxy so I walked over to see what was going on and I noticed it was Roxy making the crying noise and this is VERY weird for her as she is not very vocal at all so I figured that maybe Blossom was just bothering her and sat there for a bit to see if she would stop. After about 30 seconds to a minute she was still going and by that time Blossom had gone to eat some hay so I automatically assumed something must be wrong with Roxy. Being an abby she is not fond of being touched anywhere besides her head and much less her mid back area so I started petting her to see if she would react but she did not at all. I started talking to her and petting her head and after about a minute or less she stopped crying. & just snapped back to normal... She's been eating, drinking, acting normal.
Also she has been peeing without any pain as far as I can see because she always uses her pigloo and it's always filled with poop and pee when I spot clean in the mornings.
It's just very strange behavior so of course I have been watching her since and this morning she did it again but this time as soon as she starting crying I ran up to the cage and scooped her out and held her in lap with a towel around her and as soon as I scooped her up she just completely stopped crying. I let her free roam a bit to see if she did it again or if she would be acting strange but nope she was completely back to normal as if nothing had happend and was even happily popcorning around... This time the "crying" only lasted about maybe 5-10 seconds?

What could this possibly be? I have been looking on youtube to see if I find any videos that might have somewhat of a similar cry as to hers but have not found any. It is a very weak kind of whimper/cry, if she does it again I will record her and post it on here but from what I have explained what do you guys think? She has been fine and only just yesterday started this behavior.

pinky

Cavy Slave
As long as you don't see any hunching or straining when she poops or pees and there's no blood in the urine, she might just be annoyed with your other guinea pig. I have one that makes a whimpering sound when the other one doesn't let her get to the food dish. I'd just keep a close eye on her when you hear her do it to see if there's a pattern of when she does it.

Fay

Cavy Slave
If you can, try to capture it on video next time it happens so we can see/hear as well. But to me it sounds like the thing they do when they're just annoyed about something.

simplyypiggies

Cavy Slave
Next time she cries like that again I will record her and post it because I know that might be helpful.
But I am thinking that it is just her annoyed cause she hasnt done it since this morning like at all and shes acting completely normal.

simplyypiggies

Cavy Slave
[video]https://youtu.be/W_I_cLbMuao[/video]

The crying starts at about 20 seconds in, this is a more "squealy" kind of cry other times it has been more muffled. I couldnt catch the crying right when it started but after a few seconds in. Also ignore Blossoms annoyed sound I was trying to get her to move but she refused lol.

Fay

Cavy Slave
Yeah that's her acting annoyed because most guinea pigs don't like their bums touched/petted. I will say she has unusually high pitched squeaks! Or is that just me? I hear a surprise squeak then an irritated kind of rumble, and then annoyed noises. All sound kind of like... What's this?! Stop touching me there it tickles! :)

simplyypiggies

Cavy Slave
@Fay Lol thank goodness its only that! I have noticed it is her annoyed cry because she just did it a few minutes ago to Blossom cause she was trying to get into her pigloo, lol xD I petted her to see if she would stop or calm down but it just made her squeal/cry louder.

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
Did you change the video to private? It won't let me watch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.