Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Found a rescue TEXEL!!!

Homemom

Cavy Slave
Traingle rescue in NC - about seven hours from here I think according to Yahoo maps. But he also has a bonded cagemate and I do not have the space for two more boars. :(

But I will keep my eyes out. I am willing to drive up to two hours one way. That gives me a wide area to look for.

And has anyone heard about a girl in WV who was trying to recreate or better Texels (something like that) who is getting out of them? Supposedly, the rumor I got was she had dumped or was dumping her Americans for the new "fun" thing and is now looking to dump Texels. I cannot find the original info from this summer I had and cannot find what should have been her website. :( All I am getting is Texel sheep... I am not zoned for sheep.

I deleted the email and my system had me dump trash as it got full.

Last edited:

C&K

Cavy Slave
Do you have a boar already that you where planning on placing the Texel with? I know it sounds really insane to drive 7 hours to rescue a guinea pig, but sometimes in life we have to do insane things to prove a point to our children. I think if I wanted a Texel as bad as you seem to want one, I would just bite the bullet and do it, bring the kids, stay overnight, make it a once in a lifetime experiance. At the end of the day, you have your cake and eat it too. You have the Texel, and you teach your children that you don't compromise on your values.

If you absolutely don't have the monetary means of making such a trip, I can understand, otherwise, sometimes in life, crazy things happen, it is what makes being alive interesting.

Homemom

Cavy Slave
Cavies-and-Kids said:
Do you have a boar already that you where planning on placing the Texel with? I know it sounds really insane to drive 7 hours to rescue a guinea pig, but sometimes in life we have to do insane things to prove a point to our children. I think if I wanted a Texel as bad as you seem to want one, I would just bite the bullet and do it, bring the kids, stay overnight, make it a once in a lifetime experiance. At the end of the day, you have your cake and eat it too. You have the Texel, and you teach your children that you don't compromise on your values.

If you absolutely don't have the monetary means of making such a trip, I can understand, otherwise, sometimes in life, crazy things happen, it is what makes being alive interesting.

I actually have three boars, but it looks like they don't want to separate them. Plus, two days drive... Not that seven hours one way is bad but it means asking my husband to take two days off of work, at best one (he often works 6 day weeks and must cover onw weeknd day and in on call 24 hours a day/all week With all the work travel he has been doing the past three months, he cannot affrord time off from his lab.) His schedule makes a lot of things I used to do before becoming a mom very tough. But such is the life when working in medicine and doctors need procedures done any day of teh week.

What I am thinking of doing instead is I have connections with a couple shelters in MA and am headed up that way for Thanksgiving. I also know Topsfield Fair wrapped up last weekend (10 days ending Columbus Day) and rabbit and cavy sales are big. Most of my former club members push sales as opposed to try and talk people out of them. (As buyers left, I would hand them my card and insist they call me if there were any issues, I could not stop sales but I could help owners when trouble arose). The few weeks and months after the fair, I would get a lot of calls from people realizing they made a mistake or had no idea what to do and needed help. I will start checking Petfinder's lists for there the week or two before I go and see what is showing up.

Lots of cavy breeders in that area who exhibit - far more than here - I think this may be my best option as I do travel north for family. When I was in MA, there were far more very active rabbit and cavy clubs than here and far more purebreds with breeder markings showing up (tatoos or ear tags) in shelters especially the months after the Fair and Easter. Would not be the first time I have brought a critter home :).

C&K

Cavy Slave
I can understand why 5 boars may be a bit hard to house, and I was not suggesting breaking up the pair, I think that would be rather selfish, if they need a home where someone can take them in together, I think it is important to realize your limits on how many you can keep.

I think I remember you saying you wanted to put the Texel in your sons room? Does he already have a Cavy? Are you looking more for a sow then a boar?

Looking at petfinder there seems to be a ton of shelters on the way to MA, I am not from the US, so I don't have an interstate map, but do you go through PA? I noticed they seem to have a lot of pigs too. Of course, if it is on the other side of the state, I can see why it would not be feasible.

I wish you luck, sounds like if you are persistant, something will come up. If there is a will, there is a way. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.