Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Making a C&C Cage. Suggestions with cat?

Wheatley

Cavy Gazer
My stepmom might be taking the pig they have at the daycare she works at home and I plan on using my wire shelves to make a cage for her. I do have a cat and there's no way I can keep them separate all the time(my cat scares my stepmoms girl cat so she has to stay in my room(which is pretty big)). She has a climbing habit and I'm wondering if I need to do anything for support?
I'm planning on just doing a 2x4 set up at first until I figure out everything and I feel like It would be a little stronger? I could be wrong though.

Also if anyone knows a good article/thread about fleece liners I would appreciate it!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Look on the fleece forum here for all you'll ever need to know about fleece.

Closet shelving makes an awesome cage lid.

Wheatley

Cavy Gazer
Oh and to clarafy, I can put my cat in the bathroom for a while(all of her stuff is in there except for food anyways), I just can't keep her in there forever. I'm moving in a few months so soon my cat will have full reign of a house so I wont be worried about this as much.

sabrinaxceleste

Cavy Slave
I'm assuming you'll be using a lid then? Are you looking for stability for that or the rest of the cage?
I have an L-shaped cage - no connectors, all zipties, since... I hate connectors and they kept popping out, personally. Especially in combination with zipties. Due to the size of the cage, and mine being 2 grids up for storage, when needed I doubled up on grids for stability. In other words, I'd ziptie a 3rd grid in between the other 2.
The lid, though... it depends. If you're using a lid, are you using closet shelving or grids? I have a half/half combo; due to the nature of my oddly L-shaped cage and the length of it too, I stuck 1x1 wooden ...stick things through a top square of the grid for stability when my cats sit on it so I don't have to worry about a cave-in.
The only other thing I'd say is to watch out for if your cat has an interest in sitting on the cage and swatting them. I haven't found a solution for this yet myself. All three of my cats, big and small, do this. I've seen people on here say to use closet shelving to prevent it, but I have no idea how that works since all three of my cats' legs fit all the way down past closet shelving.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
Here is my cat proofed cage

I used 1x2s to add support. The cage is very sturdy. 4 of my cats love to lay up there and it supports them just fine. The top doesn't open. Its zip tied shut. The front opens. I use those clips that are used for dog leashes to hold the doors closed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.