PDA

View Full Version : Coroplast Alternatives Help! Can't get coroplast!

ccrom1
03-29-15, 02:02 pm
I need an alternative for coroplast. I can't get coroplast and the nearest place is 4 hours away and online, as said before, is too expensive. Could I use cardboard wrapped in fleece with a absorbing pad between? The cardboard wouldn't be exposed so I'm not really worried about them chewing on it. I know that after a while it would get old, but I have tons of cardboard and I can get more locally if needed. Any downsides to this?

pinky
03-29-15, 02:06 pm
Cardboard isn't waterproof so it won't work. You can use a shower curtain, plastic table cloth, large linoleum remnant you can probably get for cheap at a flooring store or go to your local election office to see if they have any old political signs they can give you. They're made of coroplast.

LifeAsItMayBe
03-29-15, 02:07 pm
I think cardboard would get soaked and stinky in no time at all, even with an absorbent layer on top. Some people use shower curtains in place of coroplast, or even use linoleum flooring. If chewing isn't an issue, the important thing is to find something waterproof.

ccrom1
03-29-15, 02:08 pm
So a shower curtain, absorbing materials and then fleece will work?

pinky
03-29-15, 02:17 pm
So a shower curtain, absorbing materials and then fleece will work?
Yes. I'd get a thicker one so it won't tear.

ccrom1
03-29-15, 02:17 pm
Okay. pinky Thanks.

pinky
03-29-15, 02:19 pm
If you have Goodwill near you, try them first to see if they have any that you can get really cheap. Another option is if you have any mattress stores near you. Their mattresses come in wrapped in really heavy duty plastic. I saved the plastic from our new mattress and use it as a drop cloth. I'll bet the stores toss a lot of it when they put out new mattresses so you could call them to see if they have any.

ccrom1
03-30-15, 07:11 pm
My local matress store is actually willing to give me some! I'm wondering about what to use between the layers. UHaul pads? Anything else?

baileyrianne
03-30-15, 07:17 pm
I use a shower curtain with carefresh bedding in the middle. Then fleece on top.

pinky
03-30-15, 07:21 pm
My local matress store is actually willing to give me some! I'm wondering about what to use between the layers. UHaul pads? Anything else?

That's awesome! It's a much heavier plastic than a shower curtain and it won't rip or tear. I'd just use uhaul padding between the plastic and fleece on top. Try a single layer and if you think you need two, add a second layer. If you can't find uhaul pads, cotton towels or a 100% cotton mattress pad will work.

ccrom1
03-30-15, 07:23 pm
I think I have a 100% cotton mattress pad! I'll be hopefully be getting 2 weekend after next!