Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Advice for Building Wooden Cage? Size?

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
So I actually have 2 questions.

The first is how many sows a 3x3 C&C cage will hold comfortably.

The second is advice for building a wooden cage.

Should I insert plexiglass or leave the walls plain to save money.

How would I build the loft?

Waterproofing? Could I use a shower curtain? Would that not work?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I would say maximum 3 sows for 3x3 cage.

It's up to you if you want to use plexiglass or not. I think having a clear wall is better for them to see out. If your walls are solid, they can't see outside the cage. You will also need to waterproof your walls if you don't use plexiglass.

There are many ways to build the loft, depends on how you build your cage.

I use vinyl roll (like the type they line kitchen and bathroom) for waterproofing.
Shower curtain will work too. Just make sure they can't chew it.

This is my cage. The plexiglass was only $20.

(broken link removed)

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
Do you know where I could find plexiglass? I know where to get wood and stuff but I've never seen plexi in a store.

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
Our Home Depot sells plexiglass. It's actually in the same section as the coroplast sheets.

lissie

Cavy Slave
It will be expensive if you buy the whole sheet.

I got mine as a scrap piece from Sabic Polymershapes, and they cut it to size for me.

TAP plastics also sells them by size and thickness.

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
Do you think it'd be safe to use pet wire? I'm on Home Depot's website and saw fencing called Hardware Cloth and Plastic Fence. I know I can't use chicken wire since it may cut piggies feet (or so I've heard).

FENCE.jpg
MAT_RES_WIRE.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
Based on your second image, plastic fence is not designed to contain animals.

Hardware cloth should work, just make sure they are not sharp.

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
Alright. So if I used plexiglass would it be better to use double sided tape (industrial) or screws / nails. I know piggiepigpigs (youtuber) used double sided on her cage.

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

The wishlist I made on Home Depot's website. Do you think I could make a good cage with this? We also have wood in my garage to make a stand. I'm pretty sure this would be enough Plexiglass for the cage since I'm only going to do it on one side.

Also do you recommend building it indoors or building it outdoors and then moving it in? My Dad is saying we have to wait till it warms up so he can build it in the garage but it will be equivalent to a 3x3 so I don't know how we'd get it to my room.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Alright. So if I used plexiglass would it be better to use double sided tape (industrial) or screws / nails. I know piggiepigpigs (youtuber) used double sided on her cage.
I don't trust double sided tape. Mine is screwed into the wood frame.

The wishlist I made on Home Depot's website.
Can't see your wish-list. Post link to the product.

sierralj97

Cavy Slave
If you think he can get it done in a day or two (which I believe he should. I built an insulated doghouse in a day with siding and shingles, so it shouldn't be that hard as long as you've got a good few hours to devote to it :p) I would just build it inside. You don't want to build the thing and then find out you have to take doors off of hinges to be able to fit it in the house, or even worse, not be able to fit it at all. If your dad measures and says it should be fine, then have at it and build it in the garage. Otherwise I'd build inside. If you can even make it outside in two pieces (the stand and the cage separate), then you should be able to tip the cage on it's side and bring it through the door, and then the stand. All you've gotta do is screw it together inside your room and you're good to go :)

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
*UPDATE*

We are getting the materials on Sunday! I'm so excited! It will be 4' by 4' (a little bit over my current 3x3). She has a loft now but I can't afford enough wood to build a loft and a cage so we aren't using a loft anymore especially since the ramp takes up some of her cage space. We are using liquid nails to attach along with actual nails. I may waterproof with either a shower curtain or an aquarium sealant. We are also going to paint the outside white to make it look neater. My Dad is spoiling her (and me) so much. I'm so glad I can finally get her cage off the floor and have a permanent cage for good! If you want to build a wooden cage but are scared to do it, you should so do it. Mine is about $116 - $120.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.