Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Not So New Owner

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
So I've had my piggie for about a year this coming July. She's been switched between a 2x3 C&C and a Midwest since I've gotten her. But now I think I may put the cage on the floor with a door for floor time since I've finally gotten to the task of Guinea Pig proofing my room. I think I have enough for a 2x4 + loft. I'm trying to get her a buddy (with much failure) but not giving up since I think I may ask for a Guinea Pig as a Graduation Present. Or just buy one with the money I get. I also don't have anywhere to adopt from (other than animal welfare). The closest adoption center with piggies was about 40 minutes - 1 hour, and I can't make my Aunt drive that long.

Honestly this post is just a general post of me trying to introduce my problems.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
What about Craigslist? I constantly see the "oh we got this great gp but just don't have time for it" listings.... maybe you can rescue one from there.

jrv4babies

Cavy Slave
Craigslist is a good place to try but I also in my area had a hard time finding a rescue. And found people didn't answer me on Craigslist ads I tried to respond to. Or opposite I'd resin do to a Craigslist ad and the piggie was already gone the moment it posted. Or people misrepresent...I had one I was so interested in ad made her sound 3 mos old....then come to find out she was 3 years old w special needs. I get they wanted more people willing to respond but also made me think Hmmm what other things not mentioned yet. Def takes patience to hunt around for a rescue/adopt option. Do try to do whatever you can to avoid pet store that's for sure. I'd suggest setting a search on Craigslist and then checking it 2x a day once you know you are set up and ready to take action. Good luck!

PumpkinJuly

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's long at all. Personally I would drive over an hour for piggies too. But it's that I don't want to inconvenience my Aunt, who would have to drive me to get one (my Dad isn't licensed). She is also against me getting a 2nd one so I wouldn't want to make her drive 40 minutes AND do something she is against. I think I just may keep checking the Corral Guinea Pig Rescue and looking at Animal Welfare. I want to stay away from petstore piggies since my current was a pet store pig and she had mites.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Oh that's ok I completely understand! Was it the Critter Corral rescue? I believe that was one of the rescues in the Petfinder link.

ciaraelise

Cavy Slave
Keep checking craigslist!! and If you have a human society rescue or any sort of dog/cat shelter near you I would call up and ask if they ever get guinepigs. It would definitely be worth calling and asking and even leaving your number with them!! Even if they don't take in pigs, I'm sure they get calls asking if they do and I would encourage them to relay your phone number or email to who ever is trying to rehome their little piggies!!

I had amazing luck on CL but I drove an hour away to pick up. Since you are relying on someone else to drive maybe you could ask if any CL people (if you find any) would mind meeting somewhere. Even rescues might be able to set up a piggie transport chain if they are confident you'll be a good home. It never hurts to show how enthusiastic you are about adding to your piggie family. Most people who care about pigs or even just care to get rid of their pig will appreciate the effort you show!!

Good luck :)

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
When searching Craigslist, sometimes, the people will meet you half-way--especially if, like @ciaraelise says, you are enthusiastic about caring for a new guinea pig! I almost adopted a guinea pig that way and they were willing to drive half-way to me (would have been 1.5 hours otherwise), but the meeting fell through, as they found someone nearer to them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.