Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine How dark does urine dry? Brown is normal? New to fleece..

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
So I have always used a bedding like carefresh or aspen and have since changed over to fleece. I use white towels underneath. I do a full change of everything on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The areas where they pee on the fleece isn't very obvious but I can see where it happens, a slightly darker area. But underneath on the towels it is more brown. I have read that it darkens as it dries but wasn't sure if it should be dark yellow or if brown is ok. I just finished a change and Alfie peed right in front of me immediately and it did not look brown. I touched it with a paper towel and it seemed just wet, no real color. It's just new to me since on the other bedding it just looked wet or dry, couldn't really tell colors on there.

Thanks! :)

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
Yes, it darkens when it dries. See the urine section here: https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html

What a great resource, thanks [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION]. This line specifically "Very young guinea pigs often have an orange or brown tint to their urine." This made me feel so much better as they are pretty young still and perhaps that is all it is. This is why I love fleece though, it really helps me be in touch with their health even better :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.