Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Question about grids: Can I use these?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
The normal grids from Bed Bath and Beyond never seem to be available, and I was looking again because I'm thinking about expanding my cage. Of course, they weren't available, but these were (broken link removed)
Has anybody used these and are they safe for guinea pigs? I would have to combine with the normal grids, but I don't know if that would work. Should I just wait for the normal grids to come back into stock? When I bought the first one, it was supposed to be out of stock but someone returned one. I don't think that will happen again, so it may be a lost cause. Thanks in advance! ;)

80s_piggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the safety thing...but I don't think they are the same size as the regular grids...so making them line up might be hard. They look like they are 2 inches or so smaller on all sides?

lissie

Cavy Slave
They are the same size with regular grids. They are made of plastic, and your pigs might be able to chew through.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I was going to say looks good and great but then saw as lissie said, plastic... if it was extremely hard plastic it 'might' have worked but it doesn't look thick and sturdy enough. Pigs will chew through that in no time and possible choke on bits or get internal blockages.

Personally, I wish there were some nicer looking grid styles out there. My main issue with C & C cages has always been that the grids look kinda chunky and unappealing but there hasn't really been many nicer looking, easy to use, easy to obtain, alternatives out there. Oh well! Piggies don't care what their home looks like :eek:

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd be concerned that they'd stick a leg through an opening when they climb up and break it.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I was a little worried myself when I saw they were plastic, but my pigs have barely even bothered to sniff the grids I have now, much less climb up on them or chew them. Even when I bring food they practically only spin in circles and wheek, no climbing. I was probably going to make a bigger loft since I can't expand length-wise, and since I give them their veggies on the lower level, they would wait down there anyway. I was also going to use some the extra ones for a bottom on my cage since it keeps sagging outwards. The cage is on a table, and it is barely wide enough to fit on it with out a few of the grids sliding off the edge. I made sure it is safe, though. It won't fall off the table.

@Fay I would have got normal grids, but none of the sores by me sell them. :( There is maybe a store or two, but it is like $40 for four cubes, verses $20 for about 6.

Last edited:

clippin_croppin

Cavy Slave
I don't want to push this, but just want to let you know my experience. 1st I have never tried to use these cube shelves for anything for our piggies, but I own these for craft and other storage. I would be very hesitant to use these for the piggies. The plastic is not strong enough, and they might be more interested in chewing the plastic than the metal ones, and the "designed" holes are just the size for one to get hurt. And, even though it looks "ventilated", I think it would be the opposite. I hope you are able to find some of the regular grids, I know it's far from easy or cheap :) If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You don't have a Walmart near you? You can order them online for free delivery to the store.

Owsleyjb

Cavy Slave
I have these for craft storage and they are not very strong at all. Mine started splitting and tearing within the first year I'd say.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I do have a walmart, I just find that the grids from other places tend to be cheaper. It was twice as much money to get a smaller set from walmart than from bed bath and beyond. I did some digging around, and I think I found good grids at Kmart. Now I just have to get the money Lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.