PDA

View Full Version : New Piggie Slave Has a Quick Question!

Antwoord
03-20-15, 11:13 am
Hi there, I purchased my piggies Hi-Tek and Ninja almost two weeks ago. In those two weeks I've gone from a petsmart cage to a 17sq foot c&c cage that they absolutely adore. They're still kind of afraid of me, but popcorn every time I come in their room. :) I would've adopted had there been anywhere to adopt from in my area. I've already become so attached to them and can't wait to build an even bigger cage! Does anyone know if this Timothy hay is safe to feed them? It's not as soft as the stuff they sell at petsmart. Thanks!

PeanutnCookie
03-20-15, 11:33 am
Welcome! Your cage is really cool! Guinea pigs need an unlimited amount of timothy hay. That hay looks ok for now. Is it more yellow than green? I can't really tell from the picture. The green hay tends to be better than yellow hay. KMS sells pellets and hay, so you can look there as well. http://www.kmshayloft.com/hay/

AnnikasMommy
03-20-15, 11:55 am
If it's green and not musky it should be fine. I bought a bale of Timothy instead of buying the bags.

Antwoord
03-20-15, 01:19 pm
Welcome! Your cage is really cool! Guinea pigs need an unlimited amount of timothy hay. That hay looks ok for now. Is it more yellow than green? I can't really tell from the picture. The green hay tends to be better than yellow hay. KMS sells pellets and hay, so you can look there as well. http://www.kmshayloft.com/hay/

Thanks for for the response! It's more green than yellow and has little things that look like fox tails in it- I wouldn't know where to get bales of hay as I live in Orange County and there's no farms or good pet shops around these parts. I'll look into that website :)

PeanutnCookie
03-20-15, 05:18 pm
The foxtail looking things are actually some of my pigs' favorite part of the hay to eat. They are completely okay for them to eat. Your hay is fine if it is mostly green.
Haha I just moved to Northern California over the summer from Orange County, so I know where you are coming from. I don't know of any feed stores around there that would sell bales of hay, but you don't necessarily need that. It can be cheaper over the long run but I buy the bags of hay from Walmart and so far it is fine. I think that if you don't have a lot of guinea pigs you don't need a ton of hay. It could go bad before you use it all. Sometimes it takes 3 weeks for my guinea pigs just to finish the 57 oz bag I get them, other times only a week and a half.

Antwoord
03-20-15, 06:46 pm
The foxtail looking things are actually some of my pigs' favorite part of the hay to eat. They are completely okay for them to eat. Your hay is fine if it is mostly green.
Haha I just moved to Northern California over the summer from Orange County, so I know where you are coming from. I don't know of any feed stores around there that would sell bales of hay, but you don't necessarily need that. It can be cheaper over the long run but I buy the bags of hay from Walmart and so far it is fine. I think that if you don't have a lot of guinea pigs you don't need a ton of hay. It could go bad before you use it all. Sometimes it takes 3 weeks for my guinea pigs just to finish the 57 oz bag I get them, other times only a week and a half.

You shiuld check heck out pet city in Whittier! They have decent sized bags (3 filled up my hay laundry basket) for $2 each! Also, pet supply in fountain valley has some cheap pig loos and little toys. I got my pigs a tent from pet city and a little bowl of treats that looks like a camp fire :) thanks again!

PeanutnCookie
03-21-15, 06:20 pm
Thanks, but I don't live down there anymore. Fountain Valley was about an hour from where I used to live, so I probably wouldn't have made it there anyways. :) There are feed stores up where I live now and I can find hay there too.