Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Questions about fleece, cage liners etc

Gabriele_

Cavy Slave
So I'm planning to switch to using fleece for my cage. However I've been very confused about everything while researching it. I know you probably shouldn't be using just fleece since its not going to absorb all the pee but I'm not sure what I should use underneath. I've heard about u-hual pads but I can't get them since Im in the UK and I've heard about cage liners (which I think are for going underneath fleece and absorbing pee?) but I can't sew or have a sewing machine and if I wear to buy them they're super expensive. I've bought a bunch of fleece and am in the process of washing them over and over again so water/pee doesn't stay on top.
I've also heard about people using a mattress protector. Would fleece and the protector be enough? I've never bought or used one before so I don't know what they're like. What kind should I buy?
Thanks for any help in advance!

Nicks Pigs

Cavy Slave
Do you have any places that sell wood pellets near you? Personally, I just change out the fleece layers 1-2 times a week, but spot clean daily, and haven't changed the wood pellets in about 6 weeks!

pinky

Cavy Slave
100% cotton mattress pad or towels will work. A lot of it depends upon whether they pee is one area or in different spots.

pepperbelle

Cavy Slave
I havent changed my wood pellets and its been 7 weeks. I LOVE them! Hehe :)

ClicknCavy

Cavy Slave
I know that once my boyfriend and I get our own house, we will be doing fleece and wood pellets. Right now, the washer and dryer belongs to the apartment where we live and not to us.

I love fleece because it makes the cages look so happy!

Gabriele_

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if there's any uk websites that would be able to ship the wood pellets to me since I live in a small town and my local pet shop doesn't have them. Also, when you say towels do you mean just ordinary bath towels?

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Yes, just normal towels.
I use 2-3 layers of old towels with 1 layer of fleece on the top. Just fold the towels so that they fit and cut the fleece so that it fits on top

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Where does everyone get their wood pellets? I've been reading about this and totally thinking about putting it under my fleece as well. Right now Gabriele I use puppy pads in the bottom of my cage. Under my smaller ramps they have pine shavings because in my mind they wanted them... Yeah not sure what I think along those lines but that is how my mind works. I'm still new to the GP world.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.