Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Rectal Bleeding--cures easy, but then comes back

The Old Man

Cavy Slave
Starting about 8 months ago our guinea pig, Lily (who has the nick name Bear) developed mild rectal bleeding. We took her to the Vet who did the usual tests, including a test for stones and other internal problems, and found nothing. Gave her an antibiotic, and it cleared up within 5 days, though as with all antibiotics we continued the full course--two weeks. She then has had this symptom two more times about two months apart. Each time it's cleared up with antibiotics.

She has never exhibited any pain. She also shows no real behavioral changes. Her drinking and eating goes down, but not that much (and we probably overfeed her anyways.) Her normal feeding and drinking patterns returns to normal very quickly.

On Sunday, again after about two months, the symptoms have returned and I have a call out to the Vet. Now usually rectal bleeding is considered very serious and life threatening, but doesn't appear as serious with our pet. (Though I'm sure if untreated it would become very serious.)

She is about 5 1/2 years old and we love her very much, but I will not be doing surgery (or any big measures if recommended) for her. Not just the money, but it seems too much to put her through. Seems like we might just wind up giving her antibiotics as necessary. Of course this would be bad for humans, but I'd think it might not be a problem with our pet's 1 to 3 year expected remaining life span. I would look for ways to get the medicine cheaper.

Any thoughts?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Are you sure the blood is coming from the rectum? It sounds like a urinary track infection (UTI).
https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

What kind of bedding are you using? Has she been sitting in one spot more than usual? If she is, she might be sitting in the soil spot and getting infected.

The Old Man

Cavy Slave
I had mention this to the Vet in the past, but he really didn't respond to it. We discovered that she loves to sit in paper bag with hay in it. We change it almost every day, but there's no question that she is probably sitting in her pee--she also favors a spot under a cardboard tunnel. I guess we should eliminate the bag and clean daily under the tunnel. One thing to note that while she does bleed she show no pain (at least that we can tell.)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How often do these bleeding episodes occur? While most pigs have nothing that even resembles a menstrual period, a few will bleed a little during or just before their heat periods.

The Old Man

Cavy Slave
To answer a few questions: Her bedding is Kaytee Apsen. The cardboard tunnel she sleeps in is open to the cage flooring with the bedding. I really starting to suspect the paper bags which have her hay as its bedding. To answer bpatters--about every 7 weeks or so.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.