PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Searching for piggies

tobyandheidi
03-14-15, 07:35 pm
Hello! I am a new member of the site, I joined a couple days ago. I've been looking into getting two female guinea pigs, as once I read much about them, seemed to be very loving pets.

A couple weeks ago my dad surprised me by taking me to Petland to buy a couple 4-6 week old piggies, because we couldn't exactly find any rescues near us. Where I live, shelters are not popular at all. I was still hesitant on buying from a pet store, but decided to. We brought them home and as the days went on, I noticed activities between the two that were unusual for two females. I started questioning whether one of them was sexed wrong. We took them to a vet where, to find out, that one definitely was a little boy while the girl had a skin disease.
To sum it up, I no longer have them, as we returned them both to the pet store - sadly. I had already fallen in love with the little creatures.

Currently I have a 2x4 C&C cage with a 1x2 side extension and a 2x2 loft set up in my bedroom. Me and my dad are working on wikking (*how do you even spell that?*) the fleece for the cage, we bought fleece flippers from this site I believe. We already have a food bowl, water bottle, hay, pellets (plain), 1 pigloo (will be buying more hideaways and such) etc.
We recently came across a rescue about an hour and a half away from where I live, called Rattie Tattie Rescue. They normally only have rats but they happened to have 3 people fostering 3 guinea pig mothers that gave birth almost two weeks ago. One litter is Peruvians, the other Abyssinians, and the third, regular American breeds. I would like the Americans but there are 2 males and 1 female in the litter. LuLu (who is 1 year old), their mother, is up for adoption as well (the babies will be on the 18th once they're weened), so what me and my dad are thinking is getting LuLu and the female baby. I do have a question though. Would LuLu be very protective of her baby and not let me near her?

I probably will have more questions in the future, but for now just introducing myself and hopefully I will be able to introduce my new piggies soon. <3

pinky
03-14-15, 07:45 pm
Hello! I am a new member of the site, I joined a couple days ago. I've been looking into getting two female guinea pigs, as once I read much about them, seemed to be very loving pets.

A couple weeks ago my dad surprised me by taking me to Petland to buy a couple 4-6 week old piggies, because we couldn't exactly find any rescues near us. Where I live, shelters are not popular at all. I was still hesitant on buying from a pet store, but decided to. We brought them home and as the days went on, I noticed activities between the two that were unusual for two females. I started questioning whether one of them was sexed wrong. We took them to a vet where, to find out, that one definitely was a little boy while the girl had a skin disease.
To sum it up, I no longer have them, as we returned them both to the pet store - sadly. I had already fallen in love with the little creatures.

Currently I have a 2x4 C&C cage with a 1x2 side extension and a 2x2 loft set up in my bedroom. Me and my dad are working on wikking (*how do you even spell that?*) the fleece for the cage, we bought fleece flippers from this site I believe. We already have a food bowl, water bottle, hay, pellets (plain), 1 pigloo (will be buying more hideaways and such) etc.
We recently came across a rescue about an hour and a half away from where I live, called Rattie Tattie Rescue. They normally only have rats but they happened to have 3 people fostering 3 guinea pig mothers that gave birth almost two weeks ago. One litter is Peruvians, the other Abyssinians, and the third, regular American breeds. I would like the Americans but there are 2 males and 1 female in the litter. LuLu (who is 1 year old), their mother, is up for adoption as well (the babies will be on the 18th once they're weened), so what me and my dad are thinking is getting LuLu and the female baby. I do have a question though. Would LuLu be very protective of her baby and not let me near her?

I probably will have more questions in the future, but for now just introducing myself and hopefully I will be able to introduce my new piggies soon. <3

The pup will probably be hard to catch if she hasn't been held much. You can ask them at the rescue if they've been socialized or not. A mother-daughter pair makes a nice bonded pair so I'd say, go for it. Lulu shouldn't keep you from getting near the pup, though. I like Americans, too.

tobyandheidi
03-14-15, 08:20 pm
The pup will probably be hard to catch if she hasn't been held much. You can ask them at the rescue if they've been socialized or not. A mother-daughter pair makes a nice bonded pair so I'd say, go for it. Lulu shouldn't keep you from getting near the pup, though. I like Americans, too.

Okay, thank you. I imagined that the baby would be more difficult to tame considering the age, but I'm willing to be patient and work with her. I've been trying to read up as much as possible about guinea pigs so I don't do anything wrong.

bpatters
03-14-15, 08:28 pm
The mother won't be protective of the baby. Babies are fast and incredibly skittish, but incredibly cute. I think the two females would be a fine choice.

aqh88
03-14-15, 10:30 pm
Babies settle down. You just have to be careful with the wiggly things until they get a bit more mature. Guinea pigs don't really protect their babies. They might get in an argument with another pig but definitely not something like a human.

tobyandheidi
03-15-15, 07:41 pm
Thanks so much for the information. An update on the situation, I am having trouble wikking the fleece but looking for something not harmful to strip them. Until I can figure it out, I will not be adopting LuLu and the pup (yet). I want to make sure their home is 100% ready and comfortable before I adopt them. Very excited though.