Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing URI? Vet costs?? Need advice for my babies!!

VioletAndLilly

Cavy Gazer
Hi! Lately both of my girls have been sneezing a bit, not a ridiculous amount or anything, but enough to cause me to worry some. Violet (the somewhat older one) sneezed a few days back and I noticed that there was snot on her nose. All clear, no crustiness, just some snot. Now I may sound crazy when I say this but I am very concerned about them, but several times a day every day I will get the girls out and get a light and look in their noses because I've heard that their noses are supposed to be dry and if they aren't it's a bad sign. Well about 95% of the time their noses are dry and clear but a few times there's a little glimmer of moisture in there like when we get a runny nose how it's still wet in our noses after we blow it? But anyway, they're still eating and running around like normal and I try to listen to them breathing and from what I hear, or can't hear, their breathing is fine and well silent. I've taken Lilly to the vet once already because her eye was acting up and turns out it was just conjunctivitis and we got her the drops and all was well since. That was the beginning of January when I first got her. Basically I'm wondering if I need to get them to a vet ASAP or if they seem okay. And another thing, what is the highest amount I could possibly be charged to take them? Just for Lilly's eye it was about $80 and I'm broke at the moment but get paid on Friday and *hopefully* my paycheck will be around $300 so I'm hoping that it won't cost more than that. And also I need to find a good vet around me because the one I went to had NOBODY there. Their schedule was open all day so we were able to pick when we wanted to come in, and we called that morning so I'm not sure if people just don't have exotic animals around that area that get sick or if they have a bad rep. I haven't seen anything bad about them but then again I didn't search because it was a spur of the moment thing and we needed to get her somewhere fast. Sorry this is so long, I'm just very concerned and it'd be helpful to get advice from other because it's nearly impossible to convince my parents that GUINEA PIGS GET SICK and they aren't like humans or dogs who can fight off colds pretty easily and that guinea pigs hide their illnesses until it's progressed pretty far. Please help! Any advice makes a difference!! Thanks ^_^

P.S. I have a picture of Violet's nose when she had the snot that I can post later if that'll help???

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.