PDA

View Full Version : Midwest or C&C? And questions about each.

emcronc
03-10-15, 08:16 am
I currently have a "big" pet store cage - it's 40 x 18. My girls are still really little, but even at their size now, I know they don't have enough room. Sometime in the next week or so, I want to switch to either a Midwest cage or build a C&C. What are some of the pros and cons of each? And I have a few questions about each:

Midwest

Does the canvas bottom get gross?
Can you use wood pellets with fleece (I'm planning to switch from Carefresh to this)
Would you get the standard version or the one with the kitchen area? I'm probably going to put bedding in the entire thing regardless.

C&C

I'm not worried about connecting the grids, but apprehensive about getting the coro base right! Am I stressing for nothing?
If you can't find a big enough piece of coro, can you connect two smaller pieces?
What are different options for making a cat proof top? And can you make it so that you can flip it up to open rather than taking the entire giant thing off?

sallyvh
03-10-15, 10:00 am
I have experience with both cages. I have two midwests that my pigs live in when they are at school with me but I have 2 C&C's for when I live back at home in the summer. My recommendation would be to build a C&C if you have room.
Midwest- Although this cage does meet the minimum required size it doesn't offer a lot of extra room
- The only reason why I bought two of these cages was because I had a restricted space for the cages to go and it was cheaper to buy them than to build a C&C of the same size
- The is VERY flimsy, even with the lid. A 10lb cat sitting on top of it almost made the cage collapse
- Since it has the canvas bottom the cage either needs to be on the floor or on a completely flat and stable surface
- Overall I enjoy the cage, it suits what I need perfectly.

sallyvh
03-10-15, 10:14 am
Please just ignore my top post, I accidentally posted it before I was done and ran out of time to edit it! My full post is below.

I have experience with both cages. I have two midwests that my pigs live in when they are at school with me but I have 2 C&C's for when I live back at home in the summer. My recommendation would be to build a C&C if you have room.
Midwest
- Although this cage does meet the minimum required size it doesn't offer a lot of extra room
- The only reason why I bought two of these cages was because I had a restricted space for the cages to go and it was cheaper to buy them than to build a C&C of the same size
- The is VERY flimsy, even with the lid. A 10lb cat sitting on top of it almost made the cage collapse
- Since it has the canvas bottom the cage either needs to be on the floor or on a completely flat and stable surface
- Overall I enjoy the cage, it suits what I need perfectly

For your questions about the Midwest

1) I don't have a problem with the canvas getting gross at all, it's just as easy to wipe clean as a hard plastic base. I use to use aspen shavings and have since switched to fleece liners and a kitchen with yesterday's news. It's not difficult to keep clean.
2) Yes you can definitely use wood pellets and fleece in it. I prefer fleece for the cage as it has really low sides which means tons of loose bedding gets kicked out onto the floor
3) Either or is fine, the cages are exactly the same. The plus version comes with a lid and a divider. If you get the plus version to have a lid don't use the divider. It cuts the cage into too small of spaces and takes away from the running room.

C&C
- Much more heavy duty than the midwest
- Larger, remember bigger is always better! I would make their cage as large as you can, they will love the exercise space and you will have more rooms for toys and hideys
- Generally are inexpensive.

Questions about the C&C
1) The coro can be tricky for some people. If you are really worried about doing it correctly you can buy an already pre-scored and cut base from the cage store here. Yes it will be more expensive than you buying coro from the store but it takes all the head ache and worry out of it. You know your base will fit and be cut properly, so it is always an option.
2) Yes, you can connect two smaller pieces with tape.
3) The best lid is closet shelving. You get two pieces and it can then fold up to open. It's very secure, strong and definitely cat proof. Look in the photo's section for closed cages for ideas.

If ou have any more questions feel free to ask!

bpatters
03-10-15, 01:22 pm
This site does not recommend Midwest cages, because they're not large enough. The whole site came into being because Teresa thought pigs needed adequate room and came up with a way to provide that.

emcronc
03-10-15, 02:17 pm
Thanks for the replies. As it turns out, I've spent most of the day today looking through all the photos of C&C cages here and making a list of everything I'll need to make one. Ultimately I think I'd like a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft, but for now, I think I'll start with just a basic 2x4 and maybe add a patio. Hoping to get materials and get it built this weekend if not before!