PDA

View Full Version : Aloha again! My little Buddy has a new baby brother (Snickers)!

Catgyrl68
03-08-15, 08:37 pm
Okay, my eldest son has had a name change. I had originally settled on Muffin, but I've been calling him my Little Buddy so much, I settled on Buddy. :)

I had begun feeling guilty that he was alone and didn't have a buddy of his own to play with, so I went back to the rescue and picked up his little brother named Snickers. That name came to me instantly. You can probably see why from this pic:

I had read here about how new introductions should be made, but nothing could prepare me when I saw my normally docile, quiet, chill Buddy suddenly start chasing Snckers around the floor, aggressively mounting him and not letting up! I stood there with my mouth agape thinking, "What the heck happened to you?" I started having second thoughts about adopting my new son, and immediately came here for reassurance. Thank God for all of you! It's now 5 hours later, and I haven't heard a peep out of them for awhile. I came back into the dining area, and here they were sharing a snack:

I'm aware that this behavior may reoccur from time to time, but at least I know there's hope (I hope!)

pinky
03-09-15, 03:23 am
Looks like an excellent match!

Guineadog
03-10-15, 09:33 pm
If you dont mind me asking this question but what size cage are they in

Catgyrl68
03-10-15, 09:56 pm
If you dont mind me asking this question but what size cage are they in

They're in a too-small rabbit cage which is getting changed to a 2x5 C&C cage tomorrow morning as soon as I pick up my box from UPS. :)

PeanutnCookie
03-10-15, 10:16 pm
Congrats! Snickers is really cute! I'm glad they are getting along. I see you liked my suggestion of Muffin :) Lol

piggielover200
03-11-15, 06:39 am
Im sure they will have a even better relationship in the NEW big cage!!! Good luck!

AnnikasMommy
03-11-15, 09:20 am
They are both so cute!!! Glad him and his new brother are sharing but as we know with our children they will have spats... LOL Have fun building your C&C Cage I had a blast making ours.

Kelsie
03-11-15, 05:03 pm
Snickers has such beautiful markings. I'm so happy that Buddy has a new friend and that Snickers has found a wonderful new home.

Catgyrl68
03-12-15, 11:38 am
Thank you, everyone! They are obviously MUCH happier in their new digs! You know how humans do "donuts" in parking lots (driving around and around in tight circles)? Well, these guys run donuts in their cage. No matter how I arrange the wood hidey and cardboard tube in the middle of the cage, they manage to rearrange it such that they can run circles through them and around to the edge of the cage and through the two corner hidey areas. At first, it was just Snickers who did it (in the smaller cage, no less). But Buddy (who is supposedly the dominant one - yeah, I don't think so!), has picked that up. It's funny when one doesn't know the other is in the corner hidey and they crash into each other. You'd think that would start World War III, but they just turn around and continue. Lots of popcorning and wheeking, too. I'm so happy. Snickers came up to me as I was holding a small carrot piece and bit my finger, thinking it was the carrot. I swear, that one is game for anything. I hung a water bottle next to the water dish, and I see them both sniffing around it and trying it once in a while, so I'm going to keep that up until it "takes".

Here's my cage. It's still a work in progress because I am not a seamstress and am not about to learn, so I have to order another corner hideout. I originally planned to only have a 2x3 cage, so I only received enough grids and coro for that size. But now that I have two piggies, I used my extra grids to construct a 2x5, so my coroplast is a bit short. I "MacGyver'd" an old coroplast, some u-haul pads and fleece blanket to fill in the rest of the cage until my new coroplast, kitchen and fleece flippers, arrive early next week. It sure is hard to get a good pic of something this huge!

72985 72986

80s_piggies
03-12-15, 01:20 pm
awww, I had a "Snickers" for almost 7 years... pulled on the heartstrings :love: Congrats on the new addition to the family!

Rywen
03-12-15, 06:02 pm
Congratulations, Snickers is adorable and the cage looks good too! They both look small enough to get their heads through the grid squares, if that's the case you may want to put up cardboard until the higher sided chloroplast arrives.

Catgyrl68
03-12-15, 09:43 pm
Congratulations, Snickers is adorable and the cage looks good too! They both look small enough to get their heads through the grid squares, if that's the case you may want to put up cardboard until the higher sided chloroplast arrives.

Thank you. Will do!